Chapter 47 - A Portrait of Us

It was tradition for a newly-betrothed couple to have a portrait painted, and we were no exception. The royal portraitist would be painting it, and I was beyond excited. Though it was merely sitting there for hours, I always loved the prospect that something of beauty like my own was being created.

But it wasn't all about me, Prince Oscar would be there too. I had mixed feelings about seeing him, but in the end, I looked forward to it, since he was my fiance. The thought made me giggle.

"Good afternoon, Lady Valentina."

"Good afternoon, Your Highness. It's nice to see you again."

We met on the way to the parlour where the drawing would be done. The sight of him gave me butterflies, and I was smiling before I even realized. He was as beautiful as ever, with his cold yet piercing golden eyes and soft black hair.

"How have you been?"

"Well, thank you."

"Nice weather we're having. The sun is so bright."

"It's pleasant."

Annoyance rose within me, but I controlled myself. At least he wasn't as distant as he was in the novel, after putting up with my public indiscretions for years. I wanted to have a deep discussion again, but I also didn't want to get cut off in the middle of it, for we soon arrived at the parlour.

The doors swung open, and an old man greeted us.

"Good day, Lady Valentina, Your Highness. It's an honour to be able to paint your picture."

The old man was a legendary portraitist, a genius that had been working for the royal family since he was a child apprenticing under the last royal painter. Rumours were that he shut himself in a tower for ten years to produce his most famous masterpiece, a painting of the capital. His eccentricity faded with age, and now he was responsible for all the royal family's portraits.

He escorted us to a few chairs in the middle of the room, then had the prince sit down. Then, he hurried to his easel, peering over. He clicked his tongue and shook his head, before rushing back and barking at the servants to remove some of the chairs.

"Your Ladyship, sit right there. No, over there! Yes, that chair, but nevermind, it's no good. Your Highness, stand up, and move to the right. Your other right!"

If it had been anywhere else, I would have ordered that insolent old man's execution at once, but not before having him stand in lava as punishment. It was suffering, not even being able to complain with the prince standing so close by. Genius or not, at least my family's painter had enough wits to keep his head attached to his body.

At last, he got us into a satisfactory position. I sat, with Prince Oscar standing on my left. We both wore slight smiles, expertly pasted on. And thus began hours of stiffly sitting still for me, and standing for the prince. I didn't know how he did it, it must've been the royal training.

It had just been after lunch that we came, and the sun was starting to set when the old man finally told us we could move, with a childish grin on his face. He showed us his sketch, which I had to admit, was so lifelike and regal that it took my breath away.

"This will be a beautiful portrait! I have to say, you two look good together."

Truly, the old man was a precious darling and had the eyes of someone that could appreciate art. We thanked him and left the room as fast as we could, for it had the stuffiness of a place where far too much time had been spent without movement.

"Ahh, my legs are so stiff. Would you care for a walk?"

"All right."

I was mildly surprised he agreed, but I received his acceptance happily. We went to the nearest garden and slowly strolled. A light breeze danced in the air, and the sunset painted the horizon shades of red and pink. Was it a date? It was lovely enough to be one.

"So, what do you think of our betrothal?"

"It's appropriate."

After a long day, because sitting was more exhausting than one would possibly imagine, I was so done with this. I admitted that I was shallow and I liked him because of his face, but a tiny part of me had hoped that he could treat me like the female lead. Another one of these curt replies and I would rip his handsome features apart, damn the novel.

I was too tired to keep up my facade. Besides, I assured myself that anything out of the ordinary would be 'interesting'. In romance tropes, the male lead always liked it when the female lead showed her true self, but it was because the female lead was literally perfect. Sooner or later, I would have to reveal my real personality, so I might as well hope for the best.

"I think you're extremely fortunate, since I'm the best there is. I'll be an amazing queen, and I'll make sure our names go down in history."

He looked at me, with genuine curiosity for once. Of course, he might've thought I was insane, but genius was so rarely discernable from madness. I continued.

"I'm the saint, you know, the chosen of God, and I've decided to marry you. Hell, I'm the goddamn successor to House Avington. You don't know how lucky you are, do you?"

By the time I finished speaking I was well aware I was taking out the day's frustration on him, perhaps unfairly, and I may have just signed my own death warrant. On the other hand, my heart pounded with thrill as I awaited his response, and I smiled from the anticipation. It felt so good to be myself, when I had worn this mask for so long I almost forgot who I was.

He studied me, his head tilted. Would he smile and call me interesting, or would he yell for the guards to arrest me? The corner of his lips lifted. He smiled!

"Now that you've told me, I'm certainly aware. I'm sorry for my insufficient answers, I'm often preoccupied with other matters. I'm happy with our betrothal, Lady Valentina."

I grinned, satisfied and impossibly happy. Naturally, he was enchanted by me! This was a major breakthrough in our relationship, and I wanted to push it even more.

"Thank you. And since we're going to be married one day, please call me Valentina."

He ran a hand through his hair absently, glancing my way, and I died a little. How could anyone be so attractive?

"Of course. Likewise, you can call me Oscar."

And finally, to set things in stone.

"Since the portrait will take a while, would you like to take a walk everyday? I know we don't have any love yet, but we can start trying to be friends."

"That sounds excellent."

Another worry began settling in. What if he was amused with me? It was a cute trope, but it would be humiliating to have him laughing at me and thinking I was some brat. I was far more courteous in public nowadays, but I still couldn't act freely yet.

I didn't have another outburst during our walks again, and I acted the proper and dignified way a future queen and noble lady should, which came to me naturally. However, I could talk all I want and tell him my real thoughts. He never reacted severely, other than a slight smile at most, so I gave up on my mask and expressed my opinions as they were, for any reaction was better than none, and I prayed he would like me for who I was, since it was likely a basic human desire.

I loved talking, and though I never knew if he was really listening, I assured myself that he was trying. The way to win over cold male leads like him was showing my cards and hoping for the best, so that was what I did, though obviously nothing sensitive to my secrets.

'Whatever. Ultimately, it doesn't matter.'

I liked him, but that wasn't going to get in the way of anything, especially my rational judgement. I wouldn't rely on his affection, I had enough preparation to get by without.

Though slow, we were surely making progress. Good thing we had almost a decade ahead of us.