Chapter 65 - A Disagreeable Princess (II)

- - -

Annalise danced with the proper grace of a noble lady, unlike a certain insolent peasant.

Lady Catherine, surprisingly and unfortunately, had found her style. She wore a light green dress, innocently adorable and desperately trying to make up for her lack of sophistication, rather effectively. The atrocity of her movements was lessened to border childlike charm, much to Annalise's disgust. She saw right through the despicable act: the girl was clearly a common swindler that didn't belong. Her silly attempts of advancing towards the prince were in vain!

Delilah was keeping track of Prince Oscar's dancing partners, per Valentina's request. As handsome as he may be, he really didn't appreciate his fiancee enough, which Annalise thought deplorable. Valentina wasn't back yet, likely still preoccupied with that bitch of a princess. Annalise checked her pocket watch, and was delighted to find it was time for her own show. Her dear friend had trusted her to upkeep the dignity of high society, and she would do so very well.

"One second, I'll have a glass."

As the song ended and dancing briefly came to a rest, Annalise took a glass of red wine from a passing maid's tray and headed straight for Lady Catherine. The girl was stupidly unsuspecting, even smiling brightly as she saw her approach. Annalise controlled the urge to laugh.

"Ah!"

With practiced elegance, Annalise stumbled. She caught herself all right, regaining her balance quickly, but appearing quite natural and startled to any onlookers. The glass remained in her hand, but its contents had flown through the air to splash directly and completely on Lady Catherine's lovely face and dress.

"My, I'm so terribly sorry!"

Annalise hurriedly took out a handkerchief, she had made sure to prepare one she didn't care for, and offered it to the girl. Alas, it was a mere gesture and nothing more. Her makeup ran, and her dress was stained past hope. Smug satisfaction filled Annalise, but she had to finish the act.

"I've been awfully clumsy since I was a child, Lady Catherine, and I couldn't be more sorry about it! I'll pay for the dress, naturally, but you'll forgive me, won't you?"

"O-oh! Certainly!"

To Annalise's disappointment, Lady Catherine was handling it well and didn't reveal her true nature. As she accepted the handkerchief and wiped her face, her eyes were wide with horror and her cheeks decidedly flushed, but she didn't erupt in anger or burst into tears.

"Don't worry about it, Lady Annalise, it's only an accident. U-um, what should I do?"

"Why, you don't know how glad I am to hear that, Lady Catherine. Obviously, you ought to go home! You might catch a cold like that. If your carriage's not here, I'll call mine for you."

"N-no, that's not necessary, Lady Annalise! Thank you very much for being so considerate, but I-I, um, I think I shall stay a little while longer."

"But surely you can't dance like this!"

"Yes, um, I think I'll just go take a walk. Again, thank you so much for the offer."

Lady Catherine ran out of the ballroom, and Annalise sighed proudly. It might've been better if tears had been dramatically streaming down her face, but she supposed one couldn't have everything.

- - -

Oh, god. What was she going to do?

Catherine strolled aimlessly around the enormous castle, lost before she even knew it. How she despised unlucky accidents! And Lady Annalise was so sweet about it too. Catherine hoped she wouldn't feel bad about it. After all, she had been the one standing in the way.