Chapter 75 - The Prince's Banquet (III)

"-so you see, Your Majesty, that your conjecture is sadly outdated."

"Ah, but you have still not convinced me that your modern theory is correct, Lady Valentina. There seems to be too many variables!"

The spar between the queen and I had been elegant and vigorous. We were discussing the newest concepts in psychology and I enjoyed the company and challenge of such a keen, knowledgeable, and contrary woman.

Yet before I could retort, something else caught my attention. Prince Oscar stood up, awfully pale, alarming me as I had wanted to spend some private and hopefully romantic time alone with him after the banquet. His father looked at him inquiringly and he said something I couldn't hear. The king raised an eyebrow but nodded. Just like that, the guest of honour stepped away from the table and slipped out of the room.

A chill ran down my spine and the room suddenly quieted before erupting in gossip. What the hell was so important to make Prince Oscar, the perfect representation of propriety, leave his own birthday banquet early?

I was prepared for the worst, with an awful feeling that I was right.

- - -

Catherine hurried after the excited maid that had brought the strange news, with Uncle at her heels talking eagerly. She didn't hear a thing he said, her head still trying and failing to process why the crown prince was here instead of at his banquet. Her heart beat faster and she thought it was almost like a dream.

In the entrance hall, Prince Oscar stood with a handsome air of cold dignity, very much real. Catherine gasped and rushed down the stairs to meet him, worried that she'd made him wait.

"Your Highness! I hope-ahh!"

In her haste, she tripped over her dress on the last few steps of the staircase. She let out a frightened squeal as she fell forward, eyes squeezed tightly shut and arms flailing, prepared for a painful impact with the hard floor. It never came, and instead she collided with something firm but gentle.

Slowly, Catherine opened her eyes. It took a moment for the horror to set in as she realized her position. She was leaning against the prince's chest, and he had gripped her arm when he caught her, which he now let go. Without sparing a second to wonder how he'd even crossed the room fast enough to save her, she jumped back.

"I-I'm so sorry!"

Her face burned with embarrassment and her heart pounded so loudly she was sure he could hear it too. She reached out and adjusted his sleeve cuff, the disarrangement of which must've been caused by her, and immediately regretted it at his cold glance. Ack!

"U-um, are you all right? D-did I hurt you? I'm really sorry if I did! And thank you so much for not letting me fall!"

Words burst out of her, making her even more flustered. On the other hand, Prince Oscar's voice was indifferent and composed.

"You did me no injury. Are you yourself unharmed?"

"Y-yes, thank you for asking! O-oh, my manners! Good evening, Your Highness! And happy birthday!"

Catherine curtsied and bowed her head low in hopes that he wouldn't see how red her cheeks were. Fortunately or not, Uncle chose that moment to arrive.

"I taught you to never run in a dress, Cat! Ah, and this must be the prince. Greetings, Your Highness."

As he bowed, Uncle's tone changed abruptly to be full of respect with a touch of awe, even more than how he addressed Father, and Catherine could nearly imagine his old days as a valet. The prince greeted him politely.