Chapter 89 - Demon Subjugation (I)

The heat of July continued into August, and was no more bearable when we headed out for the demon subjugation.

The actual event itself was glossed over in the novel, as it had been before Catherine was officially recognized as the saint, and the focus was instead the effort she put into making a handkerchief for Damian as good luck. She attempted to do so in this life as well, but unbeknownst to her, her hard work was unfortunately lost in the mail. Thus, all I had to deal with was the demons themselves, but I wasn't worried. There was no beast more horrible than men.

For example, annoyance boiled inside my chest whenever I thought of Catherine and Oscar in the opera together. That girl had no shame! I had barely a day's warning from our spy before I received letters from the concerned ladies that had gleefully witnessed it. I'd reassured them that he'd only gone out of politeness, stressed how he'd left quickly, and pulled in many favours to keep the news contained. Thank god it wasn't during the social season.

"Are you feeling all right, Your Holiness?"

"Of course, Nathaniel. Why do you ask?"

"I merely thought you may be concerned that you haven't received the saint's powers yet, as prophesied."

I shot an irritated glance towards Nathaniel, who sat across from me in the carriage. And here I'd thought I might've accidentally revealed displeasure on my face! Alas, it was simply his bland nature as the childhood friend that all the readers knew never stood a chance. He wore an expression of deferential honesty, polite and weary, but unyielding as ever in his naive beliefs.

"As you've informed me, religious records can be interpreted in a multitude of ways. Besides, I have the holy dagger, and they've told me it's enough."

"It is for the purposes of this subjugation. However, you've also been warned that it would be extremely difficult to get to the demon lord himself without the saint's powers."

"I suppose that's why I have you, no?"

I smiled, daring him to oppose me. He took the hint and nodded mildly. Satisfied, I decided to try to be nice to my future high priest.

"By the way, I checked the rings. Good work."

"Thank you, Your Holiness, but I must say I disapprove of the blatant favouritism and inequality they represent."

"Oh, just take the compliment!"

Once again, I recalled why I didn't like him. He had been tolerable during the picnic, on our territory, where he was constantly reminded of the fact that he wasn't in a stinking orphanage because of me, or so he thought. On the other hand, he was insufferable whenever I acted as the saint, because apparently embezzlement made me unworthy of worship. What a killjoy.

We arrived at the camp near Mount Basileus, the mountain where the demon king was sealed. More accurately, we were in the forest at its base, the furthest scouts could go without being mauled by demons. The military camp here had existed ever since the demon king was sealed, through different eras that all agreed he must never be allowed upon the world again. Evidently, they'd detected a gradual rise in demon activity for decades now, but it had been kept from the public so as to not spread panic, since they couldn't deal with it anyways before me.

"Well, well, well. If it's not the hypocrite saint!"

"Look who we have here. Did they decide to use you as bait, so for once in your life, you wouldn't be a waste of space?"

Princess Elizabeth was not a welcome sight to be greeted by. Nathaniel had been led away to the priests' quarters. Being a military camp, no one remotely valued was free enough to be around to wait upon my arrival, but nor to hear us. Having given up on peace, I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes in true villainess fashion.