Chapter 24 - Friendships?

"My lady, did you hear? Something terrible happened!"

Tia was helping me get dressed in the morning, probably because Zoe likely came back late. I yawned. The girl was too excited this early.

"No. Tell."

"A lady's ill, seriously ill! She was having some foreign tea, but her maid didn't brew it properly and it made her sick, so now they say she might lose her voice!"

I giggled, but then studied Tia curiously. Did news really spread this quickly? Or was this another golden finger God intended to give to the female lead? Now that I thought about it, how had her saintly reputation spread so quickly, if not for this girl?

Maids talked, others listened, and the contents of their discussions often reached the ears of their masters, if they were willing to listen. Servants and maids were an extremely important source of information, but I had only considered Zoe in her abilities to collect facts. Honestly, efficient as she was, I could imagine that Tia would get along with other maids much better than her, with Tia's personality literally designed to be liked.

"The maid's going to be punished severely, and they say they're going to lock her up for a really long time. I'm so glad I know better now, all thanks to Zoe!"

It was true that Tia had become far less clumsy, and I couldn't recall scolding her recently. I was impressed that Zoe was such a good influence. Besides, our maids had to know better than to accidentally poison their masters, even if it had been no accident.

"Why don't you come with me today? Zoe can take a break."

"Really, my lady? Thank you so much! I promise I won't mess up!"

Tia beamed, and I smirked slightly. Now that she was more capable, I wouldn't be irritated to have her around, and I could use her well. If my theory was correct, then this girl could be a human speaker when it came to spreading information and rumours, and a magnet when it came to collecting intelligence and gossip.

Mother went to court, so I ate alone for breakfast. Some of my tutors had arrived, so I met with a few of them in the morning, and received lessons, which felt strangely refreshing after such a break. I was very tempted to tell my poison tutor of my accomplishment to make her proud, but I thought better of it.

"Where are we going now, my lady?"

"To find Delilah, for lunch. I hope Annalise is also there."

"She is, my lady. Her maid said that they were planning to go riding in the afternoon."

"Excellent."

I adored riding, and I was once again impressed with Tia's knowledge. Additionally, I knew that other young ladies would be there as well, and I looked forward to showing off my skills.

Tia wasn't as annoying as before, and prattled on about other maids in a quieter manner, except this time I was actually listening. I suddenly realized how valuable this could be.

"And there was this one who wouldn't stop going on about how her lady can't sleep alone. She's older than you, my lady, but she was crying like a baby as soon as they turned the light off! The maid and the lady's parents couldn't sleep at night at all!"

"Whose was the lady?"

"Huh? Um, Lady Fiona Castell, I think? I'll pay attention next time, my lady!"

It was hard not to like the girl, though she reminded me constantly of the female lead, and the thought immediately disgusted me. If I got attached to a maid, I might not be determined enough to do anything to the female lead when the time came. Besides, after all, she was a commoner. I was satisfied for her company to be comfortable instead of a nuisance.