Chapter 69 - True Saint (I)

- - -

Nathaniel Seaton was alive because of the kindness of others. Thus, he lived his life repaying society with compassion. He believed in caring, the goodness of people, and the idea of God, though he did frequently wonder why he would allow such suffering.

No, if there were any sin about him, it was merely how blasphemously honest he was. Those in need always came first, and time was most efficiently spent with righteous truth. However, symbolism gave hope, and Nathaniel knew how important it was to those without anything else. Besides, behind a practical and intelligent mind, lay a ruthlessly naive conviction for justice that made religious fanaticism pale in comparison.

"Good morning, Layla. How is your mother?"

Alas, most times, and to most people, he was gentle and sympathetic, as it was his nature. Respectful and considerate to the servants, because he couldn't understand like the aristocrats why they shouldn't be equals. Everyone deserved basic decency.

Layla, the maid assigned to him, smiled. She was a warm and strong woman, caring for an ill mother and three young children all by herself. Nathaniel knew everything about them and held their mother in high regard, after nearly a decade of companionship from when he first stepped foot in House Avington.

"The priest says she's getting better, sir. Thank you very much for your help, I don't know what I would've done without it, sir."

"You're very welcome. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need anything else."

"Thank you very much, sir. You're too good to us, but I don't think we'll need more for now, and I know there's people that need it more. You're going out today as usual, sir?"

Nathaniel sighed and glanced at the small bag of coins laying on the table. A ridiculously extravagant allowance that meant nothing to nobles but could change lives if used correctly.

"I would like to, but I don't know. Security has been tightening."

"Oh, don't worry about that, sir! I'll distract the guards for you, it's the least I could do."

"Really? That's wonderful, Layla, thank you so much."

He beamed as Layla handed him his cloak. She went out of his room and began talking to the knights standing outside.

"Good morning, sirs! Could you come with me and help..."

A few words and some laughter later, footsteps sounded, fading away. Smiling, Nathaniel slipped out.

Though House Avington's defense system was barely short of paranoid, after many years, Nathaniel had figured out a safe route. He went into the chapel's library, and by memory following the instructions from a book he'd stumbled upon, he pushed and pulled certain books until a shelf swung open, revealing a secret passage.

Nathaniel carefully closed the shelf as he stepped inside. It was a long way, but he was familiar with the darkness. Finally, he hit something hard, and pushed the latch open. He came up behind stacks of crates in an alleyway, in a poor district of the capital too unimportant for any Avington spies to grace. Ah, the smell of freedom and stinking rodents.

He made his way around the block, where a boy not much older than him waited with his horse and cart. Nathaniel smiled.

"Hello, Paul. How are you?"

"Very bored. Come on, you're late. I thought you mightn't be coming! The lady give you any trouble?"

Paul only knew him to be employed under a wealthy lady who did not approve of him going out. Nathaniel had decided against revealing the name of his employer, for it had a rather unpleasant effect on people.