Chapter 31 - Tragedy of Maids

The next day after Zoe's report, I one of the books on the ifyeffier flower I had her bring me while she cleaned my room.

I couldn't focus at all. I wanted to be doing something, anything, other than sitting here reading about a plant I wasn't even sure existed.

I gave up and threw the book onto my table, laying my head down, trying to clear my thoughts. I had tried to keep myself busy, but the fact was unavoidable that I wasn't in control of the situation yet. More measures needed to be taken.

"Zoe, find me some girls willing to be loyal to House Avington but with no detectable connections to us. They should be smart and hardworking, preferably maids with experience that can be easily hired by a noble house. Train them if you need to."

No, that wasn't enough. I needed to be sure they wouldn't betray me.

"They must be dedicated to their families, and their families must be poor and unimportant so that they can be controlled, and can't do anything if something happens. You should probably wait until we get back to our territory, then, or find families that can be relocated and we'll bring them back with us. As many as you can, as soon as possible."

Zoe stopped cleaning and faced me, to be respectful as I talked.

"Yes, my lady. What should I do with them?"

"Once they're good maids, send them to be hired at Baron Bryant's household, some at his property in his land, some at his mansion in the capital. Make sure that at least a few of them can be promoted and trusted, so that if, say, the lost lady returns in a decade or so, she can become her personal maid."

I double-checked with myself to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

"She needs to be desperate for money and willing to do whatever I order, if you know what I mean. And likeable, so that people trust her and tell her things. When they're ready, send them out at different times to not arouse suspicion. Additionally, secure a way to communicate with them once they're hired."

"I understand, my lady."

"See to it that they can't be traced back to us at any cost, and ensure that they're loyal and well-trained. I supposed I don't have to worry about that, given how nicely you've done with Tia."

"Thank you for your trust, my lady, but it's not me. Tia is eager to learn."

I looked at Zoe, whose face was expressionless as ever. She wasn't arrogant, by any means, but she wasn't exceedingly modest either, and never denied any compliments that were true. I liked that about her, so this surprised me a little. Even more, she rarely presented opinions, though she stated it like a fact and I didn't doubt that it was accurate.

"Do elaborate."

Zoe never met my eyes, staring at the ground and averting her gaze in the appropriate way for servants. However, I thought she lifted her head a little.

"She tries very hard and practices what I teach her repeatedly until she can get it right. She is no genius and doesn't learn exceptionally fast, but she is committed and doesn't give up. Her natural clumsiness is a barrier she is determined to overcome, and she is succeeding. I am certain that all her past faults were due to lack of training, and if you've noticed, my lady, she doesn't make the same mistake twice."

I had not expected this in-depth analysis of her coworker, and I couldn't help but nod in agreement. I had wondered how she was able to get hired at the Bryant estate in the novel, but she must've learned from her experiences after I fired her, which I didn't do this time. Without doubt, she was even more efficient with Zoe's training.