Chapter 77 - Our Retaliation (II)

- - -

Catherine sat puzzled, not exactly sure what had just happened or if it were good. In any case, she resolved to remember as much as she could to report to Father. Meanwhile, the conversation shifted through magazines she was unfamiliar with, since Uncle never bought any back at the bookstore. She tried to join in whenever possible, but was often met with horrified gazes at her lack of knowledge, so she took a break to focus on the food.

She enjoyed herself. The chatter was pleasant and the refreshments were heavenly. Lady Valentina was amazing in her manners as usual, and Catherine thought she was learning just by watching. She was so glad she came!

The conversation moved to music, and Catherine did her best to listen. Luckily, she understood most of it, in theory.

"My, that's a beautiful piano you have, Your Grace."

"Thank you. It was a gift from the royal family, custom made in Isvoria, for my birthday a few years ago."

Catherine turned slightly and stared at the instrument situated majestically in the corner of the room in awe. It was pure white and absolutely magnificent. An innocently curious question burst out of her.

"It's so lovely! Does Your Grace play?"

She was met with a startled silence followed by a quiet and nervous round of laughter. Lady Avington smiled daintily, almost like a fairy.

"I do, Lady Catherine. Indeed, I used to be the head of court musicians."

"Really? That's amazing!"

Catherine's eyes widened in admiration. To be able to play for all of high society sounded incredible, and an entire world away from Catherine, who kept forgetting the keys. How could she remember them when they all looked so similar?

"Do you play too, Lady Valentina?"

"Yes. Mother has been teaching me since I was old enough to sit on a piano stool."

Her beautiful smile was received with a bout of approval. As Catherine was being thoroughly impressed with the ladies of House Avington, one of the guests addressed her.

"What about yourself, Lady Catherine? Do you play the pianoforte?"

"Ah, I'm taking lessons, but I'm no good yet."

"Surely you're being humble. Won't you play for us?"

Catherine blinked and a warning bell sounded in her head. Father had specifically warned her that under no circumstances should she play an instrument today, lest she embarrass herself and their house with her complete lack of skills in comparison to what must've been the pinnacle of musicians. She swallowed, as she hadn't expected to actually need Father's warnings.

"I'm sorry, I really can't!"

"Please, don't be so modest."

To Catherine's terror, other ladies joined in as well.

"I heard the baron even hired tutors from the Royal Institute of Music. We're all so very curious, Lady Catherine!"

"We're among friends, so there's no need to be shy."

"Well, Lady Catherine? Are you going to let us go home disappointed?"

Catherine looked pleadingly to the ladies, but she discovered no pity. She found Lady Valentina, who gazed at her encouragingly. Catherine gulped, but the idea of showing the guests how bad she was and letting her friend down made her even more resolved not to play.

"I-I'm sorry... b-but, um, I don't even know any songs..."

The ladies were about to close in again, but Grand Duchess Avington, her gracious saviour, cut in.