Chapter 96 - Engagement (IV)

The prince's valet led me through halls I had barely known existed, seemingly circling the castle. Occasionally, I caught glimpses of a pair dressed similarly to us but going in another direction. The valet was politely restrained in conversation, but offered an explanation.

"His Highness apologizes for the inconvenience, Your Ladyship, but the arrangements are necessary to ensure your privacy."

"Oh? How thoughtful of him."

I smiled, wondering what situation would require such solitude, with good expectations but slight suspicions. In any case, Mikhail followed right behind me, quiet but watchful. I knew he wouldn't fail to keep me safe and take any secret of mine to the grave. I was also confident enough in my relationship with my fiance and his intelligence in planning to somewhat trust that he wasn't having me assassinated on our engagement night. Overall, this was a risk worth taking.

Finally, we found ourselves at a side door of the castle. A carriage was waiting, and Oscar stood beside it. I could've sworn he smiled when he saw me, but it was gone in an instant, though the romance of escaping into the night made up for that. I decided to tease him.

"This is hardly appropriate, Your Highness, to take me out here alone."

"I apologize, but I would much rather spend the night with just you than with all those guests, Valentina. I daresay you feel the same."

Despite his composed expression, his words were lovely to hear, the result of a decade's work and commitment. His mention of 'the night' sent a pleasant shiver down my spine, and I was open to the possibility, admittedly having considered it before. It would cause quite a story, of course, but it would guarantee a marriage, and my reputation and influence with the media would pull through to spin it as a story of passionate young love instead of an unwanted scandal.

"Indeed, I do. Thank you, Oscar."

He offered me a hand and escorted me into the carriage, then got in himself. It started, and we sat facing each other. I studied him, wanting to keep this perfect image in my mind forever. The golden eyes, seemingly softened in the dimly lit carriage, the sculpted features I'd watch mature to possess the beauty they now did, and the soft black hair I'd always wanted to run my hands through.

On the fourth finger of his left hand was the ring I'd crafted from jewels stolen from the rightful heroine, a shackle binding him to me. On my hand was the promise of his crown and power, to be shared with me and only me, his queen. They fitted us impeccably, like we were made for each other, the male lead and the villainess. It was not a vow of affection, the true love he could've had with Catherine, but I did believe we could be happy together one day.

"We're here, Your Highness, Your Ladyship."

The carriage had stopped outside the most popular opera house of the capitol, a spot extremely favoured by couples for its romantic atmosphere and social opportunities. We'd been here many times before, but unlike all our previous dates, this was organized by him, for once. It was the bare minimum, but I was nonetheless pleased.

The usual entourage of attendants hurried out to greet us. Most of them seemed bewildered at this sudden visit, but the leading usher had likely been informed and welcomed us politely.

"Good evening, Your Highness and Your Ladyship. Everything is ready, if you'll just come this way."

They led us into the main opera hall, a grand chamber filled with people. As always, we went up to the royal box, where the best seats were. At the front of the box, the lavish chairs that normally sat there had been replaced with a plush couch. I made no comment on the change and sat down, followed by Oscar, who sat so close that it pushed the boundaries of social etiquette.