Chapter 66 - Blooming Obsession (I)

- - -

The boy was maybe a year or two older than Catherine, but he could've been an ageless demon, or perhaps an immortal angel. His features were perfectly shaped, with a mesmerizing quality that forbade her from looking away, though as enraptured as she was, she never wanted to. It was an intoxicating enchantment, wonderfully magical.

"Good evening, Your Highness! You are simply striking, as usual. I offer my most heartfelt birthday wishes, on behalf of my family as well."

His voice was bewitching, speaking such elegant words, and Catherine could tell he was a noble through and through. With pale blonde hair, spellbinding purple eyes, and a gorgeous face, he was alluring and attractive, inviting with a hint of mischief. Grace and charm were natural to him, with refinement and a delicate sophistication, reminding Catherine of Lady Valentina.

He was everything she had imagined a fairy-tale prince would be.

"Why, God must have blessed me to be in the presence of such loveliness. I don't believe we've met yet, so won't you please grant me the honour and delight of making your acquaintance, miss?"

In a moment, he was in front of her, a captivating smile on his lips. He took one of her hands in his own, lifting it, and kissed the back of it gently. She blushed and her heart skipped wildly.

"Hello, I'm Lady Catherine Bryant! Nice to meet you!"

She beamed, but was suddenly conscious of her stained dress. Luckily, he didn't seem to notice.

"It's my utmost pleasure to meet you, Lady Catherine. Your hair is so brilliantly golden I'm afraid I mistook it for the sun, and the shine of your eyes must be the envy of the brightest emeralds."

"Thank you! That's so nice of you!"

"You deserve all the compliments in the world, darling. Alas, I apologize. I was so distracted by your fairness I forgot to introduce myself! I am Lord Damian Avington, the eldest child of House Avington."

It took a second for Catherine to register this as things clicked into place satisfyingly. Of course, the two most perfect people she knew were related!

"Oh! Lady Valentina's brother?"

"Indeed! And I believe you know my friend Kyle? He spoke of you so highly I'm ashamed that I didn't recognize you immediately. Now I see his words couldn't do justice to your-"

"Oi! If you're going to be so disgusting, do it somewhere else!"

The two looked up, the scene briefly interrupted. Princess Elizabeth wore an exasperated expression.

"In case you forgot, I detest how shallow you and your sister are. How did you even find this place?"

"I was searching for my sister. Well, I know where she is at present, but I'm always deeply intrigued by whatever she was doing."

"She left ages ago. How'd you get here? Magic is blocked inside the castle."

"Yes, but a tiny enchantment cast previously works fine, or else you wouldn't be able to use any enchanted items, like this."

Swiftly, he took out a handkerchief and dabbed at Catherine's dress. The stain faded, then disappeared. Catherine gasped, eyes wide. It was her first time seeing real magic, though she somehow wasn't surprised this boy was a mage.

"I hope you permit, Lady Catherine? I thought it was bothering you, and nothing that places a frown on a lady's face should be allowed to exist."

Catherine didn't have the chance to reply, for a book was thrown at Lord Damian's head. He ducked and avoided it, then ruffled his beautiful hair.