Chapter 60 - Debutante Ball (III)

- - -

Catherine paced around her room, slowly losing her mind. Hadn't Father said he would send servants to help her if anything went wrong? Would he understand that there was nothing she could do?

"My lady, let me help you get ready for bed! You should rest!"

"No, thank you, Mary. Maybe Father has a message. Can you go look for him?"

"But I don't know where his room is here in the castle, and he's probably already asleep."

"Oh. Um, what do I do..."

Catherine was about to ask Mary to try anyways when a knock came at the door. She turned sharply and rushed to open it, and found Uncle, who smiled and hugged her.

"Your father heard what happened. Don't you worry, we're going to make it work."

Relief surged through Catherine. Uncle was here. As long as she was good, everything was going to be fine.

"Yes, Uncle! What do I have to do?"

"I see you're still in your ball dress. Good. Now, come along. We're going for a walk."

Catherine nodded, eager to please. However, Mary gave a protest.

"Wait a minute! Her Ladyship is tired, she doesn't want to walk!"

"It's all right, Mary."

Catherine beamed at her considerate maid. Mary opened her mouth again, but Uncle cut her off with a growl before she could say anything.

"Know your place, you silly little girl."

Uncle began walking away, and Catherine hurried to follow him, after grabbing a shawl and shooting an apologetic glance at Mary, who had a rather scared expression. They went down to the front of the castle, to a small garden with a full view of the road leading up to one of the entrances.

"Here's the new plan."

Uncle spoke quickly, but Catherine memorized every word, driven by her desperation not to disappoint him. She nodded as he finished.

"If anything changes, we'll help. Be good, eh? And don't let servants talk to you like that, you hear me?"

"Yes, Uncle."

Uncle patted her shoulder and strode away, whistling. Ever since they left the town, he was often much happier, and that made her glad. Perhaps she could make him proud, if she did this right.

Catherine walked around the garden, her heart beating fast in anticipation as she waited. After a while, like Uncle had told her it would, a carriage with the royal emblem approached. She casually went towards it, meeting the occupant as he descended like a happy accident.

"Your Highness! What a coincidence!"

Her heart skipped a beat, but with slightly less guilt than she usually did with lies. It was for Uncle, so it was sort of all right.

"Ah, yes, Lady Catherine."

Prince Oscar still had the intimidating aura that made her want to flee, but the weight of Uncle's expectations pushed her to continue.

"I was so frightened about Lady Valentina that I couldn't sleep, so I came out to get some fresh air."

The prince nodded politely, but turned, as if to go. Catherine swallowed.

"Actually, I was wondering, would you like to take a walk with me?"

He looked at her, and for a moment he seemed disconcerted, but he nodded, like Uncle had assured he would, though it nevertheless surprised her, since he looked as if he would like nothing better than to be alone. Her heart pounded as she smiled.