Chapter 62 - Blossoming Friendship (II)

After making sure I was in no danger of drowning in old memories, I observed my guests. They were looking on curiously, obviously intrigued, but I must give them more. For instance, a proper lady, with an insider's account on what Catherine was really like, a much more reliable source that would grossly contradict the beguiled girl...

"I'm sorry again, Lady Valentina, for being so late. I got away from my meeting as soon as I could!"

A dramatic entrance, made by the woman I personally trained into a perfect aristocrat. The pitiful stepmother, tormented by having to live under the same roof as a girl picked up from the streets, who was in all practical sense a commoner! Lady Bryant glided to our table, and smiling, I embraced her.

"Don't worry about it in the slightest, my dear baroness. Everyone, Lady Bryant just came from a business meeting, since as you know, she runs several ventures, and she's simply wonderful at it!"

It was a double win. In the novel, the baron presumably took control over the assets Ratched left to his daughter. Now, I had long encouraged Lady Bryant to remain active in helping her father with his businesses throughout her marriage, and she had separate accounts from her husband, collaborating closely with House Avington. If needed, she had a small pool of wealth she would gladly offer to assist me, and it helped her image and personal security as well.

A murmur of approval arose. Lady Bryant turned to me.

"You flatter me too much, Lady Valentina! Why, you've been managing businesses for the grand duchy since you were fourteen!"

"It's only my duty, after all."

A small figure attacked my legs, hugging them. I had told Lady Bryant to bring her, just to rub it in with Catherine that I had a closer relationship with her family than she did.

"Lady Valentina! I missed you!"

"Aww, did you get taller, Briana?"

Catherine's little half-sister was a cute child of eight, with bright blonde hair and blue eyes. Spoiled like a proper noble child, and like her mother, she positively adored me, since I encouraged pampering her to make Catherine's life as miserable as possible, and the occasional small trinkets I gave her.

I glanced at Catherine, who appeared surprised but not displeased. She greeted Lady Bryant, who acknowledged it with a cool nod. Briana stuck out her tongue at her. With an absolutely sweet smile, I steered the conversation back to topic.

"We were just talking about Catherine's uncle. Mr Sawyer, I believe his name is? What do you think of him, Lady Bryant?"

She met my eyes knowingly and put on her best disapproving expression. Truly my star pupil.

"To be honest, I can't say I like him very much. My instincts tell me that he is of a completely suspicious character! No manners at all, even less than your average peasant, but with all the entitlement in the world. He gives me the creeps, and I feel indeed that he is vile!"

The disgust, slight fear, revulsion, and mixed with much indignance, were perfect. It wasn't about the words themselves, but her composure and assured manner that made her statements facts. Everyone's attention was glued to her and the charisma that I had single handedly helped her develop, hanging onto her words with gleaming eyes. The beasts had seen blood, and leaped upon it.

"But Lady Catherine told us the complete opposite! Surely, there is a misunderstanding?"

"Poor Lady Catherine...you know, they say some peasant men are most peculiar, in extremely disturbing ways..."

"I think there can be no doubt Lady Bryant's instincts are correct! Never trust a peasant, I say. They're like leeches, so totally uncivilized!"

"Yet Lady Catherine was raised among them...Oh, dear, dear."