Chapter 84 - Eighteen (II)

In the novel, I invited Catherine to my birthday ball for the sole sake of bullying her, providing a convenient opportunity for Damian to stand up for her and for them to grow closer. As a main part of my strategy was simply limiting her exposure to the male leads, I dealt with this event by merely making sure her invitation got lost in the mail. On my birthday, I just wanted to cherish the moment without being reminded of my scripted fate.

Unfortunately, that didn't seem likely now. I hadn't been able to relax completely since Catherine joined high society, and seeing her on my brother's arm didn't help. I hadn't expected Damian to invite her as his partner, but I supposed this occasion was as good as any other for us to communicate properly.

"Happy birthday, Lady Valentina!"

"My best wishes for your birthday, my sweet Val, and for another splendid year to come."

Catherine beamed while Damian smirked at me. He must've helped with her appearance, because she looked so nice that she almost fitted in, if not for her peasant's composure. I smiled sweetly.

"Thank you very much, Lady Catherine, Damian. I'm glad to have you both in my life. Please enjoy yourselves tonight."

With the standard greetings over, I turned away and sought my next target. If one brought a partner, it was etiquette to have the first dance with them, or the first available dance, like my special case today. Damian was socially required to have the first dance with Catherine, and though I could try asking him to make an exception like Father did, it would be very awkward if he were so far gone that he refused. It was depressing that it could be a real prospect.

Nevertheless, after the first dance, one could dance with whoever one wanted, like one's brother's best friend, to set him up with the girl unconsciously seducing one's brother. It didn't take me long to find Kyle. Our eyes met, and he approached me willingly with a tight-lipped smile.

"Good evening, Lord Kyle. Would you like to have this dance with me? We could discuss certain things."

"Yes, I agree. We definitely need to talk."

- - -

Catherine couldn't stop smiling as the music began and Lord Damian took her hand. In fact, she hadn't been able to stop smiling since he'd arrived at the Bryant mansion with an entire outfit as a gift, and more importantly, himself. She felt a constant unfamiliar warmth in her chest, and she liked it a lot.

"I must say, Lady Catherine, you look lovely tonight."

"Thank you! You know, that's a compliment to you too, since you picked out everything. Thanks so much again. I've never seen jewels this big!"

Lord Damian chuckled and spun her. He was still the only one that could do that without making her almost fall or step on him!

"You're very welcome. After all, such beautiful jewels deserve to belong to a charming lady like yourself! Indeed, I'm afraid the emerald necklace pales in comparison to your dazzling eyes."

Catherine blushed and giggled. He was too kind, just like his sister.

"But I'm not pretty at all! Really, Lord Damian, I truly appreciate you asking me to come with you, despite all my flaws."

"There's no need to be so modest, darling. However, do tell me, have I plagued your mind as you have haunted mine?"

Catherine's eyes widened and her cheeks reddened. She couldn't possibly admit that he was the face she now imagined whenever she read a romance novel, because of how absolutely perfect he was. Even to herself, she'd been denying the realization, because she didn't want to disappoint Uncle. Still, as good as Lord Damian had been to her, the least she could offer was the truth.