Chapter 42 - A Blessed Saint (III)

After I was rudely woken up by an apprentice priest telling me it was time, I found it curious that a room in the supposedly frugal temple was as comfortable as what I was used to in the castle. Though the furniture was carefully chosen as not to appear luxurious, they were of extremely high quality and must've been expensive. So this was where all that donation went.

My point was further proved with a delicious breakfast, but I didn't have time to ponder it. It was before the crack of the dawn, but there wasn't a moment to lose in preparations. Repentance Day was upon us.

I wore a black dress for this occasion, as did everyone that attended. It represented sin, and tonight, when people returned home, they were to burn the garment. Most people didn't, and I didn't plan to either, given how pretty mine was. Nowadays, that tradition was mainly replaced with washing the clothes instead.

Morning prayers finished without delay, and it was time for the main act.

"As children of God, he forgives us for our sins, as long as we repent. On this holy day, we shall confess our evils, and God shall give us a new chance to serve him purely. No matter how grave a crime, with repentance, God forgives all. Confess, my brothers and sisters, and live anew."

A different high priest officiated today, and they seemed to be taking turns. This one was more dramatic than the last, but also effective, because as soon as he finished his prayers, lines began to form.

At least today, it wasn't all about me, which would normally be something for me to be disappointed about, except this was work, which I would gladly share. Still, the attention I got yesterday was one of the only great things, so it wasn't pleasant having that taken away as well.

Nevertheless, though the people were more spread out, the workload was the same, since the world would never run out of guilty hypocrites. Some truly devoted followers came to me specifically, so perhaps they believed the saint could pray better. I met less people I knew, for they likely avoided me on purpose. The confessions were supposed to be private, but God knew I liked using all the dirt I had.

My first confessor was my nemesis. God had humour, it seemed, or he didn't mind if I threw his bowl of water.

"What sins have you committed, Princess?"

"That I couldn't help the temple see how shallow you are and let someone like be named saint."

"That's a grave sin, indeed."

I dipped two fingers into the bowl of water on the altar and jabbed her in the forehead, making sure to let the water trickle down her face. It was a very nice blessing, on my part.

"I shall pray God forgives you for the crime of being born."

"And I shall pray he doesn't strike us all because of you."

She left with a scowl, and my mood improved. That went away fast, though, because she soon became the most interesting part of my day. I stared blankly as people came to tell me their sins and I blessed them, occasionally nodding at the more odd ones.

"Please let God forgive me for cheating on my wife."

"I am very sorry for using my child's school funds to buy horses."

"I'm drinking, but I can't help it. Please, God, forgive me, and make me stop."

They ranged from mildly disturbing to depressing. No one important told me anything high society didn't know already, and no one admitted to anything illegal, because they had the common sense to know that the law didn't forgive with just repentance, even if God did.