Chapter 32 - Having Fun

"Why can't you do anything right?"

Large dark figures hovered above me, blocking out any light.

"I can't believe you're my daughter. You obviously don't take after me, or you wouldn't be this worthless."

There were so many of them, leering down at me. I didn't look at their faces, I was too scared. Even if I did, I knew I wouldn't see anything.

"You're such a loser, you know?"

I tried to open my mouth, to get up, but I had no voice. I was tied down firmly by something I knew not what, and I couldn't move, couldn't scream.

"What a disappointment. In the end, you've brought us nothing but shame."

Someone began to shriek. Suddenly, the figures moved aside, revealing a blinding tunnel of light, and two people standing in front of it, casting long shadows.

Mom and Dad. I couldn't see their expressions clearly, but it was clear enough. They wore the same dissatisfaction they'd always shown me.

'No, I'm sorry! It isn't fair! Please, I'll be good, give me another chance!'

Behind them, a monster creeped out. Horror gripped me and I tried to move, to run, but no matter how hard I struggled, I couldn't. It came towards me until it was right before me and it opened its mouth wide, to swallow me whole. I could only lay there, terrified.

So completely weak and powerless.

"My lady, are you all right?"

I sat up straight, breathing hard. I could move again, and I could see. It was just a dream, that was all. Nothing more, nothing less. These days, the memories of my past life were beginning to mix in my head, and my nightmares were almost never pure recollections anymore, but normal dreams formed of my thoughts and imagination.

The trauma they didn't tell you about reincarnation. I sighed.

"Get me a glass of water. And open the windows."

Tia stood by my bedside, eyes wide with concern, and scuttered off to carry out my orders immediately. Giving out commands made me feel better, reminded me that I was powerful. Power brought security, so I was safe.

I drank the water Tia brought me and glanced outside the windows. A blanket of snow had fallen, the first of the season, and the excitement of my original nine-year-old self took over.

"Tia, get me a coat!"

I rushed to the window as Tia went rummaging in my closet, breathing in the cold winter air. It did wonders to calm me, and before I knew it I could barely recall my dream.

The glass pane fogged with my breath, so I left. I quickly ate breakfast and had Tia dress me in my favorite coat, dark red with black fur. I hurried through the halls of the castle as fast as I could while maintaining grace.

I met Delilah and Annalise with our clique halfway to the drawing room we normally occupied. They had been coming to meet me, because we all knew we wouldn't be doing any lessons or spending this fine day inside.

"It snowed last night, Lady Valentina, half a foot deep!"

Even Delilah's usually elegant demeanor was brightened, because on the inside, we were really only children. Her eyes twinkled, and everyone was already dressed in coats and gloves.

"Then let us go, shall we?"

I was proud to remember the names of some of the girls in my clique, and we made our way through the castle eagerly in joyful conversations.