Chapter 29 - The Fake Saint

"My lady, His Grace wishes to see you in his chambers."

I looked up curiously at the servant's words. Father had been busy lately, and I hadn't seen him in a while.

"Did he say why?"

"No, only that it is urgent and for you to go immediately."

"All right."

It was rather early in the morning, and I would have never been up, if not for my excellent self-discipline these days. I wondered what it could possibly be as I entered the room.

"Good morning, Father."

"My angel. Come, sit."

Father had dark circles under his eyes, likely tired from all the work. I sat down on the couch across from him.

"Do you remember when the priests visited us?"

I nodded.

"I've received news that they are coming again, from the Grand Temple. They'll arrive soon."

I blinked, caught unaware. Father must've made sure we were informed of any unexpected visits after last time, but somehow they still managed to surprise us.

I checked my dress. Casual, not too fancy, as there weren't any major social events today. Still far more expensive than anything the female lead might wear, but good enough. For me, it would be considered modest.

"What do they want this time? To discuss the saint again?"

"Likely, yes, so we need to be prepared. You are certain you wish to be the saint?"

It didn't matter to Father if I really was or not. To him, the temple was corrupted with lies, and one more wasn't going to do any harm.

We had several discussions together about this, with Mother, and they were both willing to respect my decision, once they were sure I understood what it would mean. I did understand, more than they could possibly know.

"Yes, Father."

He nodded gravely.

"Very well. Then, let's practice your mentality again."

Many senior priests were terrific at detecting lies and how true one's faith was. I had been trained so that I could expertly devote myself to God when needed, with the purest belief. After all, the royal court was a stage, and we were a family of fantastic actors.

Father went through some questions with me, until I was as holy as possible. We didn't have a lot of time, but I felt confident for the real thing.

"Your Grace, priests have arrived and are asking to see you and Lady Valentina."

"Let them in."

The doors to Father's sitting room swung wide open, and the priests entered. It was a similar sight to last time, two older priests followed by several apprentices.

"Good morning, Your Grace. We finally meet again."

Priest Fernadez's sly smile was back, and Father greeted him coldly, like last time.

"Good morning, Priest Fernandez. And this is?"

"I am High Priest Tahon. May God bless you, Your Grace."

I glanced at his robes. Sure enough, he was really a high priest, one of the twelve so important that they rarely left the temple. It pleased me that he came to me personally, but of course, it was only to be expected. He was older and quieter than his companion.