Chapter 71 - True Saint (III)

- - -

The day she met Nathaniel again, Catherine couldn't stop smiling on the carriage ride home.

The first few years after Uncle took her from the orphanage, she'd thought of him frequently, with a fantastic dream that one day he would swoop in and take her away from that mundane book store. Of all the aspects of the outside world she'd missed, he had been the one she had repeatedly begged Uncle to let her see again. He always refused, of course, and lectured her sternly until the idea was banished, each time a little deeper.

Gradually, the figure of her imagination shifted to the faceless crown prince she was to marry, and Nathaniel was placed into a little chest in the corner of her heart. Safely out of the way as Uncle commanded, but secretly nurturing wild hopes of reunion, to be entertained only when she felt particularly bored and lonely. She dipped into memories of the days before Uncle's direct presence, when they were awfully poor but so happy and carefree.

"Good afternoon, my lady!"

Catherine's arrival at the mansion she called home pulled her back to reality, of the glamour and sophistication she presently lived in. How far they both were from that little orphanage! Beaming, she felt a burst of pride.

"Hello, Mary! Can you take me to Uncle?"

"Yes, he's in his quarters."

The maid led the way to the back part of the house, where Uncle's suite was located. Catherine knocked, answered the shouted voice asking her identity, and entered upon a gruff invitation.

"Good afternoon, Uncle!"

The man faced away from him, his feet kicked up on his desk as he leaned back in his chair, a book resting on his face that he took and threw aside. Groaning, he spun around to face her, unkempt and scowling.

"Your father's been telling me to read to pass the time. Read! As if I hadn't read too much for the past ten years! Even a nap's no good, I'm too pissed. I was promised far more than this crap, I'll tell you! Remind your father who raised his girl, won't you? He wants to see you soon, took care of the reputation business, so don't you worry about that. Well, what's it you want?"

Catherine wondered how Father 'took care' of her reputation, but Uncle didn't seem like he wanted to talk about him at the moment. Quietly, she spoke with the timid voice that she'd perfected to not irritate Uncle further, though she still held her breath, her body tense.

"I'm so sorry to bother you, Uncle, but I saw Nathaniel today, when I was doing charity. Nathaniel Seaton."

Uncle frowned with no hint of recognition.

"Who?"

"My friend from the orphanage, nine years ago. I wanted to write to him, remember?"

"Vaguely, somewhat. You were an annoying little pest about it, I think."

Catherine fidgeted with her hands and bit her lip from a rush of guilt.

"I'm sorry I was so difficult."

"Don't worry about it, you got better fast. What's with this Nathan chap?"

Catherine beamed at the compliment. Her pulse quickened as she swallowed in preparation for her request.

"Nathaniel is a priest for Lady Valentina now. May I see him again sometime? I would really like to!"

Uncle scratched his head and sat up, eyes growing alert. He was really very smart and careful.

"Valentina Avington, you say? Right, I did hear one of the priests under her patronage is a boy with strong divine powers. And he recognized you?"

"Yes, we spoke, and he asked questions. If I see him again, how much may I tell him?"