Chapter 68 - Blooming Obsession (III)

"Good night, Damian."

"Good night, my sweet Val. I hope I'll see you again very soon, and I shall dream of you until then."

In the safety of our mansion walls, his manner was almost natural, except for those unsettling gleaming eyes. He kissed me on the forehead and I could feel his gaze follow me as I ascended the stairs, tracing every step, until I finally turned out of sight. It felt as if a burden was lifted, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

I glided through the halls quickly, meeting Zoe along the way. I beckoned for her to walk with me, reassuring myself with her steadfast presence.

"Still no news on the holy flower?"

"No, my lady."

"There must be a better way! You know what, take me to my parents."

"Yes, my lady."

I had considered the idea before and thought over it carefully on the carriage ride home under Damian's frightening gaze. Now that the fear was gradually being replaced with annoyance and outrage, I made up my mind. Damian was as strong as a nuclear weapon, and the only thing more disastrous than letting him go out of control would be allowing him to be used by Catherine and Baron Bryant.

Father and Mother were talking pleasantly in a drawing room. They looked up as I entered, slightly surprised.

"You're back early from the ball, darling."

"My angel, is everything all right?"

I sat down between them. Mother poured me a cup of tea and I took a sip gratefully. With them, I was safe. In the comfortable calm, the very prospect that I, Valentina Avington, had been shaken, was angering me. I clenched my teacup.

"Damian escorted me back, actually."

"Oh. How come? You usually stay out all night. Are you feeling well, darling?"

"I am. He insisted it's late."

Mother fell silent and exchanged a glance with Father. He coughed.

"Rather unreasonable of him, that boy. I'll talk to him about it."

"I think you may have to do more."

"What do you mean?"

Privately, I believed they knew, like in the conversation they were having with their eyes right in front of me. I had dropped hints throughout the years, and they had responded with equally sly assurances they would take care of it, though I'd never held much hope as I knew the doom was destined by the novel, which must've meant the usual methods didn't work.

Talking about it made it more real, and doing it without Damian was admitting he was already so far gone he couldn't be trusted to discuss it rationally with us. I hated it, but the problem could no longer be addressed separately. We had to work together as a family to help him.

"Damian has mana madness."

As expected, they accepted the statement as truth, with slight but composed reactions. A sigh from Father, a dejected but assenting shake of the head from Mother. The signs had grown too obvious to the ones that loved him.

"I daresay we all suspected, my angel. He's obsessed with you and his work, and we've already tried talking to him. He wouldn't listen!"

"But it'll be fine, won't it, sweetheart? I mean, I told you I was looking into some foreign doctors, and you said you would research as well. We'll save him, and he won't be like those other sad mages."

Mother spoke with maternal determination. Father took her hand gently.

"Are those foreign doctors any use, dear?"