Chapter 80 - Hunting Competition (III)

Our hunting party consisted of me, Father, Damian, Oscar, King Henry, a few more of the most important nobles at court, and of course a good deal of knights. We gathered near the side doors of the palace as final wishes of luck were given by other aristocrats and those not hunting while we waited for servants to bring our horses.

I breathed in the fresh morning air, excited. My pistol and the holy dagger hung at my waist, and though I had not yet officially announced to society what it was after obtaining it, intending to dramatically make it declare itself at this competition, I'd made sure there were no shortage of foreshadowing rumours. I wore a handsome and practical hunting suit with my hair tied up in a tall ponytail, dashing enough to match my fiance, who presently approached me.

"Good morning, Your Highness."

"Good morning, Lady Valentina."

Oscar's composure was cool as usual, and I was unsure if he came next to me because he craved my company or just to keep up appearances. With Mother's help, the gossip surrounding his visit to Catherine had died down, but I hadn't confronted him about it yet. I planned to deal with his side of it after the competition to ensure everything went smoothly here. He didn't bring it up voluntarily either, so it seemed we'd reached an unspoken agreement not to mention it for the time being.

Thus, my manner to him was not much different, courteous with a hint of intimacy to produce a suitable impression on any passerbys. Except, perhaps, with the excitement of the competition, there was an extra bit of flirtatiousness.

"I'm sure you've been offered many favours again. Should I have to be jealous?"

"No. I refused them all."

I stared at him and tilted my head incredulously.

"Why would you do that? You've likely wounded many poor hearts."

"You said last year you wished I would dedicate myself only to you."

Without realizing it, I smiled. What had I said last year? Ah, yes. I recalled that it was after my crowning as the queen of the hunting competition. Before we returned to the capital, we went for a walk together.

"I'm terribly delighted to be crowned again. The only thing that could possibly make me happier is if you dedicated yourself only to me, but I'm afraid that's too much to ask."

It had been one of those frequent moments where I spoke my mind and was particularly bold in trying to get any reaction out of him, because I highly doubted he was listening.

"All right."

As expected, his response had been the exact same as the ones made to my previous remarks. He hadn't even spared a glance my way, so I'd naturally assumed he hadn't really heard or meant anything. Seeing on his face that same icy but evidently attentive expression he'd worn a year ago, I couldn't help but let out a laugh.

"That's awfully considerate of you. I'm sorry I didn't return the gesture."

"That's fine."

"Now that you've turned everyone else down, aren't you going ask for mine?"

"Do I have to?"

I took out the embroidered handkerchief I'd poured many late nights into and met his guarded golden eyes. Wondering what he truly thought and felt, I gave him my loveliest smile.

"No, never. My most heartfelt favour shall always be yours."

Most men would have absolutely melted under my sensual gaze. However, slightly unfortunately, my fiance was an impressively cold male lead and not most men. He remained apathetic as he took my handkerchief, and I swore to myself that one day I would make him blush.