Chapter 19 - I Found the Third Male Lead

I sat at my desk, staring blankly at the history book my tutor told me to read. Why did I have to learn history, when I was going to make history? I tried to focus, but my gaze slid right down the page without processing anything. The fact that I would rather do anything else right now didn't help either.

A knock came at the door.

"Come in!"

God must have sent me a saviour. I would've even been fine if it was just Zoe or even Tia, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a strange boy. It took me a moment to recollect who he was, but it wasn't difficult, since I didn't know that many people with bright silver hair.

"You're that knight apprentice."

"Yes, my lady."

His voice was quiet and respectful, but his gaze had something deeper, though I couldn't exactly tell what. His skin was smooth like ivory, and his eyes were a clear blue. He was beautiful.

"Well? Why have you come?"

"Sir Harrod sent a report. They decided to send me to inform you of its contents."

"Why you?"

"They deemed me the least likely to incur your wrath."

I frowned, and crossed my arms. Was that my reputation among knights?

"Why would they think that?"

"I don't know, my lady. My lady is a daughter of House Avington, so my lady must be very elegant. Perhaps they thought I would please you, since we're similar in age."

By now, I was used to people kissing up to me, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was almost a shock when I found nothing but sincerity in his eyes, especially since I thought myself good at reading people. Regardless of his genuinity, I was curious about him. I admit, that shallowly enough, it was because I liked his face.

"How old are you?"

"Ten, my lady."

Only a year older than me. Curious, however.

"Isn't that a bit young? I thought knight apprenticeships didn't start until fourteen."

"I was taken in by House Avington when I was six, so I've been training since then."

Confusion rose. Nobles didn't randomly take in children to train with their knights, and definitely not children with obvious foreign heritage, given our awkward relations with other kingdoms.

"Who are you? What's your name?"

"Mikhail Lovell, my lady."

A pretty name, befitting of him. But his last name...

"You are related to Viscount Lovell?"

"He is my uncle."

Some things made more sense now. The viscount was our ally and obeyed Father, but I vaguely remember his family being involved in a scandal. I thought Father looked sad whenever his name was brought up, so I never asked. My interest piqued further.

"Explain."

"My father was the successor to House Lovell, but he eloped with an Isvorian woman, and I was the product. My mother died of an illness when I was five, and my father sent me to my uncle, the current viscount, then killed himself."

I was momentarily shocked by his misfortunes, then again by his calmness. I rested my elbows on the table and my chin in my hands.

"Then what? How did you end up here?"

"My uncle... did not treat me well. I reminded him of his brother. The grand duke had been good friends with my father, so he offered to take me in. But it wouldn't have been proper to take a bastard as a ward, especially not an Isvorian one, so I was to train as a knight. I'll forever be in His Grace's debt."

It made much more sense now, though depressingly. I doubted these words captured all the sadness in his life. He seemed to know what I was thinking, and bowed his head.

"Now, I only hope that my past does not burden me. I wish to serve House Avington with my life, with all my capabilities."

His loyalty tugged a heartstring. In the novel, he was likely one of our knights that fought to death for us. I could use his help in preventing that path, and I was almost lost in consideration.

"Would you like to hear the report now, my lady?"

"Hm? Oh, yes, absolutely."

"Nathaniel Seaton has been found."

I sat up straight, excited. My heart beat fast as he continued.

"He possessed holy power, just like my lady said. The temple discovered him recently from an orphanage, and the knights will look more into that orphanage. Sir Harrod asks what to do with the boy."

My pulse raced and my head spun. I laughed, throwing my head back. This was it! Victory was within my grasp, I could feel it, and it was all so easy. Find the female lead, and everything else would be handled. Securing the priest would also definitely help me pretend to be the saint.

However, I couldn't have Nathaniel come right away, since transportation might take a while, and I wanted to be here when the third male lead arrived. It was social season very soon, so my family and I would be heading to the capital. The season lasted until next June, and that would be too late. I bit my lip in thought, weighing the factors, and made a decision.

"Have them arrange things with the temple. I want him to come as soon as possible."

I had already discussed with Father and Priest Norman, and they gave their permission, so it should be fine even if he arrived when we weren't here. Additionally, it would make him seem less valuable, so we could use him as a secret weapon.

"And tell them to keep searching for the girl. You can write to me when I'm in the capital. I want to know of any updates immediately."

Mikhail-could I call him that?-nodded.

"Would you like the letter, my lady?"

"Leave it on the table."

He obeyed. Talking with him was much better than with Sir Harrod, because it felt like he respected my title, and because of his pretty face. Sadly, there was nothing else I could keep him here for.

"If that's all, you may go."

The boy bowed.

"Thank you, my lady. I will train hard, and I hope to serve you well one day."

I cocked my head and smiled as he left. An oddly warm feeling spread in my chest.

As a male lead would say, 'how interesting.'