Chapter 76 - Our Retaliation (I)

It was a few days after the banquet. After drowning in letters from concerned friends and curious acquaintances wanting to know why the hell my fiance visited another lady the night of his birthday banquet, for which I still hadn't thought of a good excuse yet, I was more than glad to escape into Mother's chambers from a summon.

"You wanted to see me, Mother?"

"Yes, darling. Have a seat."

I sat down across the table from her, and her gray eyes bored seriously into mine. We were both mother and daughter and allies on a battlefront, defending the honour of our family.

"It's not a pleasant thing, what His Highness did."

"I quite agree."

"You feel fine, I hope?"

"Of course, but I think I may need assistance with the gossip."

"I thought that might be the case, darling. Shall we host a tea party? A small affair, with a few friends and Lady Catherine. As you know, with a delicate situation like this, a handful of very influential individuals work best."

Mother smiled innocently and I returned a smirk, the most relieved I'd felt in days.

"That would be lovely. However, I haven't thought of a good explanation yet."

Mother laughed, a light tinkle that only sounded devious if you knew her well enough.

"Oh, I have just the thing, darling."

- - -

"She isn't going."

"Like hell she isn't! I didn't raise her to just sit there and let them slander her. She needs to get out there and defend herself!"

"They'll only twist her words. We can't give them anything."

Catherine sat uncomfortably in the corner as Father and Uncle debated. She'd been excited to receive the invitation and hadn't expected Father to oppose so fiercely.

"Remember last time? The girl didn't say a thing against you, and they still managed to make you into a pervert, and now she's known as the fake lady raised by a pervert. That Avington girl is dangerous."

"And our Catherine is strong! At the rate you're going, we'll be here until she's thirty! If she's going to be queen one day, she needs to know what others are saying about her. They're going to gather anyway and gossip about her, but if she goes at least we'll know what they're saying. Cat agrees with me!"

Uncle turned his head one way and then another, finally finding her in the corner. He grinned.

"Right, Cat?"

"Y-yes, I would like to go!"

Privately, Catherine wanted to see Lady Valentina again. After a long period of loneliness despite a number of small tea parties and balls, no one was as kind as her! Besides, she was truly strong, unlike Catherine, so maybe she could even help resolve the rumours and misunderstanding floating around Uncle from last time.

Father sighed and waved a hand.

"You can go, Catherine. Your Uncle and I are going to have a talk."

Uncle shot her a smile as she left and whispered to her.

"You're going, I'll make sure of it!"

Catherine beamed and hummed through the halls of the mansion, warmth spreading in her chest. In times like this, she knew that Uncle did love her, and she treasured it very much.

- - -

Catherine had accepted the invitation, and the party was held about a couple days later.

To my interest, other than the notorious gossips, the guests were composed of many ladies associated with newspapers and journals, including several who were columnists themselves, and some that were read by commoners. Whatever Mother was planning, it would be wide scale, and I was more than excited.