Chapter 23 - Royal Court (III)

The queen clapped her hands once and a maid came in with a platter of saucers and teacups. She handed them out to each of us, but I noticed the tea in Mother's cup had a slightly different colour. Just from instinct, the quality didn't look right.

"I prepared something special just for you, Grand Duchess. It doesn't suit my tastes, but I thought it might remind you of home."

The queen smiled, and in that moment, she looked so much like her daughter I almost lost my self-control. Mother could only return the smile, despite the obvious insult to her common roots.

"Thank you for your consideration, Your Majesty, but I actually haven't had tea for commoners since I married His Grace. It touches me that you've tried it yourself."

I tried to hold back my laughter as the queen's smile stiffened. She nodded and quickly moved on, directing her attention to a new victim, for I considered anyone unfortunate enough to warrant her attention to be a victim.

"What do you think of the tea, Lady Luisa?"

The girl stuttered as she lifted her head after sipping delicately, startled by the sudden attention.

"I-it's delicious, Your Majesty. I really like it."

"Thank you, Lady Luisa. How about you, Lady Valentina?"

"Its taste is quite unique, Your Majesty. I wonder where you might have gotten it?"

Mother gambled on the fact that the queen would have chosen some rare tea to show off, and by asking first, she wouldn't be able to question me on its origins. However, we didn't take into consideration another variable.

"Alas, I thought you would have been able to tell, from the signature slight sting. Lady Luisa, what do you think?"

The girl gasped, turning red. She fidgeted with her teacup and stammered.

"U-um, is it from the south? I-I think the taste is similar to a herb from there."

"Brilliant, Lady Luisa!"

The queen smiled, looking down at us triumphantly. My fingers clenched around the cup.

"It contains a plant called dieffenbachia, which has many medicinal properties. However, the brewing process is very difficult to get right."

Something didn't sound right to me. Where had I heard of 'dieffenbachia' before?

"If you like it so much, Lady Luisa, I shall have some sent to you. I would offer you some as well, Grand Duchess, but I worry that it may not suit your tastes."

"Your thoughtfulness is heartwarming, Your Majesty."

Grace. Elegance. Virtue. Qualities a lady should possess on the outside. Mother had all of them, yet here she was. Somehow, her words sounded heartfelt, but I couldn't imagine what she was feeling.

Intelligence. Perseverance. Ruthlessness. Qualities a lady must possess on the inside. Mother had these as well, but she wasn't ruthless enough, or the queen wouldn't still be here.

Silently, I distracted myself by making fun of the ugly pieces of jewellery the other ladies wore. Lady Luisa was the center of attention and the recipient of compliments, and it was really too vile, how she bowed her head and blushed, mumbling thanks, like she was all flustered. She must have felt glad that she managed to humiliate House Avington, maybe even gleeful.

Then the nobles really went overboard.

"Lady Luisa is close in age with Prince Oscar, no?"

"Really! She's so mature, I almost forgot. And so nice and pretty, too!"

"They say betrothals are best made young, you know."

"Oh, I can't imagine a better match! They would get along so well!"

"P-please stop speaking of such things..."

Lady Luisa was red as an apple, like the colour of my rage, if it had a form. How dare she, blush so adamantly, like she had any claim to him? Why didn't she deny these claims, confess that she was unworthy? And why was the queen just sitting there, not protesting in the slightest?

In all my time as a noble lady, this was the first time I felt close to fainting, lest my anger burst out. I didn't even know how the cup didn't break under my grip. Thankfully, the gathering was soon over, and Mother and I went back towards our chambers.

"... it's fine. It's just one time. We have to pull through, like we always do."

"Yes, Mother. Good night."

But that was the problem. Mother was content with being the grand duchess, she was fine with occasionally being stepped on by the queen, with our family having to bow down to hers. I wasn't. I wouldn't ever be.

I flipped through my books quickly, my fingers suffering many cuts. A plant with medicinal properties... have to be brewed carefully... from the south... aha!

There was paper and pen on my desk nearby, and I quickly scrawled a note, carefully checking the book. When I was satisfied, I rang the bell, and a maid soon arrived. I thanked the heavens it was Zoe and not Tia.

"Yes, my lady?"

"Take this. Buy what it says, mix them, and add it to Lady Luisa Smyth's tea. Make sure it's the one the queen gave her, and you add it after her maid brews it. Don't let anyone see, and make sure the cup is washed afterwards. I'll give you a bonus. Can you do it?"

"Yes, my lady."

"Good. Go."

Zoe curtsied, and left. I fell back onto my bed, books still laying about, cackling wildly.

God was fair after all, and had given me a gift. Dieffenbachia, when used in small amounts, may have healing properties, though even that could merely be superstition due to the limited scientific knowledge of this world and wherever the south was.

However, it was definitely a poison that could induce temporary muteness. Combined with a touch of other herbs, a permanent effect could be achieved, though to a lesser degree. I even sprinkled in something extra special that would cause rashes and warts on the face. Best part was, the symptoms would be similar to that of an allergic reaction or an overdose, to be blamed on some unfortunate maid for not making it properly. With the medical technology of this world, even with priests, it would be impossible to trace it back to me.

Unless Zoe... nah, no one would believe her.

Tomorrow, a noble girl's life would be ruined. A maid would be fired, if not imprisoned, for her supposed carelessness. A family would grieve for a bright future now stained. A queen would regret the loss of an ally. High society would pity an unfortunate child. I would join in, to show my compassion. Perhaps I would even send a gift to make her feel better.

I knew that nothing would come of Lady Luisa and Prince Oscar, because in the novel I became engaged to him. But what if I changed the course of the story too much? What if she really did become his fiancée? What then?

They were just excuses, I knew. My anger, now slowly fading, needed someone to suffer. I couldn't touch the queen yet, but I could hurt her ally, for existing as an accomplice. If I had to, I would destroy her supporters, one by one, until she had nothing left, for this was only a warning. Mark my words, I was coming for her. And I would make her pay.

Where I should have felt guilt, I only felt cold satisfaction. It was fine, I told myself, it had to be done. For the glory of our house. For a crown.