Chapter 110 - Villainess (I)

- - -

It was two weeks into the new year, the midst of debutante season. The baroness was still not home. She and Lady Briana's absence were felt throughout the Bryant mansion, with chaos amongst the domestics barely managed by the housekeeper, and the baron himself not leaving his chambers except for official duties. The depressing silence hanging over the once lively and affectionate house was unsettling.

Little did its master know that it was about to get a lot worse.

Mary stood in front of her lady's room with her breakfast, contemplating life. Her employer had told her exactly what she was getting into at their first meeting all those years ago, and before the start of the mission, she had been warned again. The new instructions chilled her, but this was what she'd been trained for. She thought of the gold, her mother, how she probably should've turned back a long time ago, and how little it mattered now. She slipped into the room.

"Good morning, my lady! Here is your breakfast. How are you feeling this morning?"

"Good morning, Mary. I'm a bit tired, but I think I'll feel better after I eat! How are you?"

Mary had been an official servant of House Bryant for almost a decade, entering into its services practically immediately after meeting her real employer, to establish seniority and to become a suitable lady's maid for when the time comes, which it had recently. Thus, she was unused to being treated almost as an equal by a lady, though she was gradually growing more comfortable. After all, Lady Catherine wasn't a real lady.

Mary made small talk with Lady Catherine while she cleaned the room and her lady ate. Her lady was always trying so hard to look happy, even with her sickly skin so marred and her frail frame so frequently shaken by fits of coughing. Over the year that she'd served her, her lady grew weaker and weaker, and Mary's guilt grew heavier and heavier. Her lady was not a bad person, which was rare, in Mary's limited perception of the aristocracy. She felt awful for what she'd done and what she was going to do, but unfortunately, some things had to come first.

"You know, my lady, I had an idea last night. I know last year wasn't the best for you, so with debutante season, why don't you have another sort of party? A fresh start, for the new year, which I'm sure will go a lot better than the last, like you're debuting again! Not a ball, I don't think the physicians would like that, but perhaps a tea party?"

She knew her lady considered her one of her few friends and held her opinion in high regards. Her employer had made sure she did that, for this very moment. It was effective. Lady Catherine's eyes widened and she smiled, making Mary's heart drop.

"Oh, what a great idea, Mary! But do you think anyone will come? And will Father agree? I don't want to bother him when he's already so busy with everything."

"Of course people will come, my lady! Lady Valentina, for one, will surely come! She's your friend, no? And everyone says she's so kind, so certainly she won't refuse your invitation! And she has many friends, who she can bring with her. His Lordship will be very happy too, I'm sure, to see you socializing. It'll brighten up the whole house!"

At the mention of Lady Valentina, Lady Catherine's face fell like a dejected puppy that had done something terribly wrong, but as Mary stubbornly babbled on, the light of hope slowly returned to her eyes. Her smile was as innocent as a child's, and Mary wondered what she could've possibly done for God to punish her so much.

"Thank you so much, Mary! I'll go ask Father right now!"

Lady Catherine got up too quickly and bent over in a burst of coughing. She tried to smile reassuringly at Mary when it ended but it only looked pitiful. As she left the room, Mary suddenly wondered what in the world she was doing with her life. Ah, there was nothing she could do now! She swallowed down her guilt with the thought of the money and shook herself. Yes, she'd already come so far, what's one more sin for someone past redemption? Life wasn't fair, so be it!

- - -

"Hm? A tea party?"

"Yes, Father! I-I would like it as kind of a fresh start, because I want to do so much better this year!"

Baron Bryant rubbed his forehead, holding back a yawn. As much as he hated to admit it, the situation was not going as well as he'd hoped it would. The Avington brat was proving to be so much more of a hassle than he'd expected, and the idea of having her under his roof again revolted him. He'd put up with her for all these years as Isabel's friend, and now that Isabel's gone...

No, he couldn't think about Isabel, he had to focus. A tea party would not be a terrible idea, if anyone would come. It would prove that Catherine wasn't dead, at the very least, socially and physically. House Bryant's first social gathering since the outbreak, a statement that they were still strong. He could see no great risk, and the benefits overall outweighed the potential for embarrassment.

"Very well, but be sure to consult your tutors on the proper etiquette and necessities for the occasion. Have fun, and make House Bryant proud."

He forced a smile at the girl's excited appreciation, wondering how Briana was doing. Were her fussy tastes met at her mother's place? He was the only one who could calm her down after her tantrums, what would her mother do without him? He missed when she would run to greet him when he returned from the castle, and Isabel's warm embrace.

He did not notice when Catherine quietly left the room.

- - -

Lady Catherine wrote the invitations with much care, revising and editing them until she was finally satisfied. She sent them eagerly and awaited anxiously for responses. She was not disappointed, as Lady Valentina immediately replied that she would love to attend, along with a flurry of other acceptances. The innocent young lady was overjoyed and prepared for her party with all the diligence her little heart could muster. Every detail must be perfect!

"Oh, Mary, I don't think I shall be able to sleep tonight!"

Twas the night before the big day, and all was ready. The outfit Lady Catherine planned on wearing tomorrow was chosen and hung tidily in the closet. She was in bed, holding the cup of tea Mary had just brought.

"Nonsense, my lady. You've been exhausted recently, so I'm sure you'll sleep sound as a baby."

She certainly would, though not for reasons she could possibly imagine. Mary watched as her lady smiled appreciatively and drank the cup of tea. They said good night, another piece of courtesy Mary was unused to, and Mary blew out the candle.

Since Lady Catherine's illness, Mary had been sleeping in the same room as her in case her condition suddenly worsened. Thus, Mary went to her cot at the foot of the bed and laid there until her lady's breathing evened, which did not take long with the sedative in the tea. For good measure, she waited for quite a while before she got up softly and relit the candle.

So it began.