Chapter 87 - Summertime (I)

- - -

Mikhail splashed water on his face, trying to clear his head.

It had been a few weeks since his lady's ball. When he'd returned with a glass of water to see his lady kissing her fiance, he'd stepped unobtrusively to the side so he wasn't visible from the balcony, but could observe the hall and guard it, as was his duty. He'd faintly heard their conversation, but he did his best to forget it, as he thought his lady would want him to.

She hadn't noticed him when he'd rejoined her, as she and the prince returned to the ballroom together, but she'd been smiling more happily than he'd seen her for a long time. It was the rare kind of smile only her fiance could put on her face.

"Why aren't you up yet, boy? Isn't Her Ladyship getting up soon? I don't want her blaming me again!"

Mikhail forced down the persistent mild twinge in his chest. Metaphorical, since he always kept himself in perfect health to serve his lady. He knew how miserable his lady's fiance could make her, and he wished he could protect her from any such pain, like he'd sworn he would in his oath. His lady deserved only the best.

Yet in the end, as long as his lady was happy, he would be content. He was her knight, and he would always be there for whatever she wanted, come hell or high water. No more, no less, and no use worrying too much.

He opened his door with a wistful smile to see his frowning instructor.

"Sorry, Sir Harrod. I'll be on my way now. I was just thinking about what an honour it is to serve Her Ladyship."

- - -

I'd stayed in the capital longer and longer each year for socializing, but the heat of July and August were truly intolerable in a stuffy city, and affairs at home needed tending. We returned to the Avington estate in our territory shortly after my ball for a pleasant vacation and to focus on the internal matters of the grand duchy, which I gladly assisted Father with.

Late July was the perfect weather for a picnic. In the novel, Catherine invited Nathaniel to go on one, and they shared quality bonding time. I made that impossible by removing Nathaniel from the capital and taking him home with me. I had a demon subjugation scheduled for August, and for the holy extermination of evil, I ought to spend more time with my priest. Thus, an invitation was sent down to the chapel, and I met Nathaniel there one fine noon.

"Good day, Your Ladyship."

"Hello, Nathaniel. It's a beautiful day, isn't it? I think we shall head down to the tree on the hill. The flowers must be in full bloom now."

"That sounds nice."

His replies were more attentive and polite than Oscar's, since I was his sponsor and he was indebted to me. On the other hand, I could clearly read the mild disapproval and disappointment on his face, the default expression he wore around me. He hadn't had training in masking his emotions, so his true feelings were easily betrayed. However, I didn't have to care, because I had complete power over him. Oh, what a wonderful feeling it was!

The tree on the hill was a specific old tree on our estate, close to our castle and rumoured to be as old as Orilon. It provided very pleasant shade, and the hill it stood on allowed a lovely view upon a field of flowers, carefully tended to by our gardeners. Zoe and Tia spreaded out the picnic blanket, laid out the food from the baskets they'd carried, and Nathaniel and I sat.

We'd gotten the pleasantries and small talk over with on the way here, so I went right down to business.

"Give me an update on your research about the holy dagger and mana, Nathaniel."