Chapter 86 - Eighteen (IV)

As my dance with Damian finished and I moved to find my next partner, I passed Delilah heading for Damian. She wore an expression of elegant determination, though her complexion was a bit pale. I whispered briefly.

"Good luck. Don't let him dance with the girl again."

She nodded and I followed her with my gaze. Damian received her politely with a charming smile. The desperate longing in her eyes was well shielded, the pitiful hope in her smile carefully masked. In spite of knowing her as long as I did, I could barely see through.

What a shame. My poor friend was superior to Catherine in every aspect, but spending as much as Damian did with me and the other proper ladies perhaps made him tired of perfection. After all, the female lead was destined to leave a trail of ruin in her wake, not sparing a care in the world for side characters like the villainess's follower or the second male lead's best friend, or countless other broken hearts.

"May I have this dance, Lady Valentina?"

"Oh, certainly."

Yet it was my birthday, so at least for tonight, I wanted to forget my worries and enjoy myself. Now that I'd dealt with Damian, I did exactly that, dancing until all thoughts of the novel were left behind. No man could match the beauty of a male lead, but their company was another matter, and their deferential admiration was quite satisfying.

All the gentlemen wanted to dance with me, and all the ladies wanted to be me. I was the rightful center of attention, drawing eyes wherever I went, the shining jewel of high society. For the first time since the start of the novel, I felt serenely happy. This was the life I should be having, the life I would have for good once a few small obstacles were removed. With the world at my fingertips, it felt even that could be easily accomplished.

"Won't you escort me to the refreshment room? I need a drink."

The bells had tolled for midnight a while ago, but large balls like this one usually went on until dawn, and dancing was a wonderful exercise that demanded energy. In the refreshment room, I was delighted to find Annalise and Delilah there as well. With my thanks, my latest partner respectfully slipped away as I went to my friends. They were sitting around a small table with a bottle of spirit, a third empty, and a shot glass Delilah presently drained. Annalise grimaced.

"Really, Delilah, you shouldn't drink so much! It's not healthy."

"I'm fine, Annalise, don't fret so. Oh, hello, Valentina. You're of age, aren't you? Come have a shot with me."

Delilah's cheeks were rosy and her eyes unfocused, but she seemed more balanced than other nobles I'd seen who'd drank less. We were allowed to drink weaker alcohol like wine and champagne after debuting, but stronger types like spirits were only allowed for those above eighteen. My friends and I normally drank in moderation, but Delilah always drank heavily after dancing with Damian.

"Ah, sure."

Partly I felt responsible for my brother, and partly, I was curious to try spirit. Delilah waved over a servant and took a shot glass from his tray. She filled our glasses and raised hers.

"To you, our lovely Valentina. Happy birthday."

She downed hers in one sip. Slightly alarmed, but figuring that I ought to return the sentiment, I did too. The liquid burned my throat disagreeably and I coughed. Delilah laughed, more freely than her sober self ever would.

"How splendid, Valentina. Would you like another?"

"That's very generous of you, but no, thank you."

Delilah nodded nonchalantly and poured herself another shot.