Chapter 15 - To Be Holy

Mother clicked her tongue thoughtfully as we made our way back from the tunnels. Though I wasn't sure if she was talking to me or herself, her half-coherent mutters only aroused my curiosity further.

"What are they thinking... Seriously, the temple? ... on top of all that too, your father must be exhausted... and with the royal family involved..."

"The royal family?"

Mother looked at me coyly. She was so used to toying with people that I doubted she even realized that she was doing it or how infuriating it was.

"Your father didn't want to tell you. But I think you ought to know, especially since he's..."

She trailed off again, and looked tantalizing to the side. I couldn't help myself and took the bait.

"Especially since what?"

Mother touched a finger to her chin and pursed her lips, wearing a smug smile.

"No, it's nothing. Anyways, there were royal knights at the diamond mine."

My other questions were forgotten at this piece of news. A chill overcame me.

"Why?"

"We don't know, and we can't be sure it was them either. The people at the nearby village led your father and our knights straight into an ambush, and the fighting techniques of the attackers matched the style of the royal knights perfectly."

"Our knights still won?"

"Your father says the attackers fled when they realized that it would be a close fight. I guess they couldn't afford to lose, if they were really royal knights."

"But... that would mean..."

It was impossible that the royal guards were at a diamond mine by accident. The royal family must have known about it, but how? They could have discovered the mine, but then why did they not tell the public? And when the female lead and the prince discovered it in the novel... was that a setup?

Originally, the diamond mine was discovered by accident on a walk during a demon subjugation. The female lead had decided to help out some kids in a village nearby and they repaid her with 'sparkling stones' that they had found. The prince's only reactions were surprise and admiration, and of course, increased affection for the kind female lead. Nothing hinted at prior knowledge.

It was at this moment that my own realization first started creeping in, but I pushed it out of my mind. If I couldn't trust the novel, then I couldn't trust anything.

I decided to ask Father about it later, and about the implications this might mean for our family.

"There you are."

Father met us on our way to find him. Now that the priest was gone, his brow was furrowed and tense, revealing traces of apprehension.

"Go on, Valentina. I have to discuss with your mother."

I knew they would tell me anything important and the final conclusions they reached, so I excused myself. Besides, I had somewhere I wanted to go.

The chapel wasn't too far from the castle, and I knew the way there. It was beautiful, while maintaining a sacred holiness. The door was unlocked, symbolizing that God welcomed all. I opened it and entered.

The large main chamber was where everyone living in the estate gathered for ceremonies on special occasions. Rows of pews faced the raised altar at the back, with a path down the middle and at the sides. The back wall was made of stained glass, the sunlight shining through creating pretty colours, and a statue of God standing before it. There were doors on the side walls, and a chandelier hung from the arched roof. All was tranquil and divine, and I almost felt an urge to confess my sins, though I had none.