Chapter 85 - Eighteen (III)

"Please excuse my lack of pleasantries, Lord Kyle, but I'd rather get to the point. Lady Catherine is a wonderful girl and would make a lovely wife. If you're concerned about her commoner upbringing-"

"It's nothing of that kind, Lady Valentina."

Kyle was positively sulking, but I had no patience for the trivial emotions of side characters.

"Well? What is it that you object to, then?"

"I'm merely not interested in marriage."

I frowned. That was clear defiance of the social standards the members of high society lived by.

"You mean at the moment, I presume. Surely you'll marry eventually, but if you're too late there mayn't be anyone as suitable as Lady Catherine. Why, you might have to marry an old maid whom you could never grow to care for. Sooner or later, your family will pressure you into a match, whether you like it or not. At least currently, you can make your own decision."

"Your worry is touching, but I see it as that I should enjoy my freedom for as long as possible. I haven't found anyone I particularly like yet, and I don't have the effort to seek someone, with all our important work for the kingdom. Besides, I assure you I shall be able to deal with my family or any other well-meaning individual."

He stared me in the eye purposefully. It was a standard textbook answer plausible to most nosy relatives, but for some reason I had the suspicion that he was lying, and I was usually correct, though I had no idea why he did.

I had been trying to push other men Catherine's way, but due to her damned reputation, few were willing. Moreover, as the first one to ever dance with her, Kyle had an advantage that would be a pity to let go to waste, not to mention the implicit gentleman's code that would automatically prevent my brother from pursuing her further. I tried my best to reason with him.

"You don't have to look. I'm presenting Lady Catherine right to you, and if you've ever thought of me kindly, you would trust that I'm certain you would be happy together, and have the decency to at least try."

He had the impudence to sound as exasperated as I was.

"Lady Valentina, with all due respect, please stay out of my business."

I had an odd sense of deja vu. When had someone else dared to say that to me without being executed? Ah, yes. I had been attempting to console Delilah and persuade her to try again with Damian. Odd, they wore the same expression of heavily veiled misery too.

Suddenly, it all clicked, and I cursed myself for not seeing it earlier. I chose my next words carefully.

"Is it perhaps that you prefer your friendship with Damian?"

Kyle wouldn't meet my eyes. Finally, he relented, with a flush to his cheeks.

"Oh, close enough! Let's just say that I love him more than I love my actual brothers, but it's not like anything's ever going to happen. I simply wish to be with him as long as I can before he finds a girl he likes so much that he never thinks about me again!"

This situation was rather unexpected, but could prove to be advantageous. In my mind, gears turned rapidly.

"I think affection without expecting anything in return is admirable, as it means you selflessly wish the best for the individual. Thus, it is even more of your responsibility that my brother does not make decisions he will regret."

"Is Lady Catherine a decision to be regretted? I'm so moved you thought of me, Lady Valentina."

Despite the attitude, Kyle was usually a kind and sympathetic person. I could use that empathy towards someone with a similarly unrequited love.