Chapter 37 - Successor to Our House (I)

Father was often busy nowadays, but he made as much time for me as he could. He frequently took me to the privacy of our manor a block away from the royal castle, and we would talk.

"See, Valentina? These are our ancestors."

We stood in our library, a giant chamber filled with shelves of books. On one wall, above the shelves, hung a long row of portraits with names and dates inscribed underneath on plaques, going back to the founding of the kingdom.

I stared in awe. They were past heads of House Avington, and I could see the slight but unmistakable resemblance between each of them and myself. I had never paid much attention to them before Father pointed them out, and I swelled with pride.

"Father, is that you, the first on the right?"

"Yes, my angel. And your portrait will hang there, too, when you take over for me."

I looked up at him. Succession was a topic we discussed a lot, but this felt almost conclusive. There was a reason Father was showing me this today.

"It'll be an honour I'll definitely live up to."

"I know you will. And I've already spoken to Damian, he's fine with anything you choose. My angel, are you ready to decide?"

A thrill ran through me. As the eldest, Damian's consent made it feel even more real. And as for me, I was more certain and eager than anyone could possibly know.

"Yes, Father, I've carefully thought over everything we've talked about. I want to officially be the heir of House Avington."

Father smiled and patted my head. He had brushed off my initial enthusiasm from the hunting trip and made sure I was well aware of all the facts and responsibilities before making the final decision, assuring me that he would support whatever I wanted. However, I could tell he was pleased with my choice.

"Then, we'll make the announcement. We'll host a dinner party, and show them the future Grand Duchess Avington!"

He picked me up and spun me around, both of us laughing. The rest of the day, Father told me stories about his father and grandfather, and I listened with intense interest. I loved spending time with him, something I couldn't have imagined with my dad from my past life, but I wasn't going to think about that.

When we got back to the castle, we told Mother about the dinner party. Her eyes widened, glinting with excitement.

"Why, we must begin preparing right away! A matter this important can't wait until next year, and if we don't act fast, things'll get too busy for Blessing Day. Oh, leave it all to me, my darlings, I'll make it the best event this season."

My mother was truly a genius socialite. I didn't see her for three days, and on the morning of the fourth, she showed up to my room with servants carrying stacks of dresses.

"Invitations were sent out as soon as you told me, and the dinner shall be tonight. It's been far too rushed, but I wouldn't want Blessing Day to take the spotlight off of our house. Now, darling, let's see you in those dresses."

We spent the whole day preparing, and by early evening, I was every bit the graceful and dignified successor of a grand duchy.

"My angel, you look beautiful!"

Father admired my outfit as Mother gazed with satisfaction. I wore a dark blue dress with thoughtfully picked jewellery that emphasized my elegance and eloquence, with delicately applied makeup to bring out a refined sophistication.

In other words, I was stunning, as usual. Artworks needed an audience, and I quickly found myself in our sitting room, greeting the nobles that were gradually starting to arrive.