Chapter Forty-Four

Harry's pov

"Harry, Jesus would you calm down for a second, I can't drive any faster than that !" Louis exclaims, kind of laughing but also genuinely annoyed by the fact that I've asked him to go faster about five times in the last three minutes.

I might be freaking out just a little bit.

"Sorry, I'm sorry, I just want to get home." I breathe out, my leg bouncing on the floor. 

Louis reaches over the center console and puts his hand on my thigh like he's done so many times before, squeezing comfortingly and I put my shaky hand on his and take a breath, my body trembling in anticipation.

For once I'm not shaking from fear. Only excitement.

I can't believe she finally remembers.

When I saw the text there was a split second where I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or not, if I was hallucinating or if this was actually happenening. But it is, it is happening.

Songbird.

That's what she texted me.

When she was fourteen, maybe fifteen I had to go away for a few days because my boss made me work in a shop in London, and we still lived in Manchester at the time. 

And one night Liv texted me, she said she was listening to songbird, and that she missed me a lot.

And it just... sticked.

After that we started to text each other song names every time we needed to say something important.

Songbird.

It's her favorite song.

When she was still a kid and I was sneaking into her house I would sing for her a lot, it was always a great way to calm her down. I would just lay next to her.. and sing.

And Liv always asked me to sing songbird.

Songbird is our I love you.

The rest of the drive feels like it lasts for hours, but in reality it's probably less than ten minutes since Louis is driving extremely fast.

The second Louis parks the car I'm jumping out of it and running into the house as quickly as I can, and I'm surprised I didn't fall face first on the ground and hit every single piece of furniture around me.

And when I get in the living room I freeze into my tracks.

Liv looks up at me from where she's sitting on the sofa next to Niall, a joint between her fingers, and I can feel my eyes burning simply from the way she looks at me.

Her eyes are bright and glassy and they light up when she smiles.

She's looking at me exactly like she used to, there's no confusion or frustration. There's no fear. 

It's just her.

She stands up and hands Niall the joint, still smiling at me when she spreads her arms wide and nods her head.

"Come on babe." she says, and I run up to her as I feel a stray tear falling down my cheek.

I crash into her body with so much force that I almost make us tumble back and fall, but Liv hugs me back and buries her face into my chest, her arms strong around me, as always.

Even when she was a kid she used to hug me so tight.

It feels like my entire body relaxes as soon as she's in my arms again, like the strain and tension that has been in my body for the past months is fading away and leaving place to a relief that makes me want to burst into tears.

"I missed you, I missed you so fucking much Liv." I breathe out into her hair, trying to hold back my emotion and not fall to my knees and just... cry, for hours.