Last Lesson

Hey guys! This is my first ever fan fiction so please excuse any errors in my work.

PRE-TEXT: This story starts during the leap where Bondita has reached London at the age of 13/14 and has stayed there for 4 years as of now. She has adapted to this new, modern lifestyle but still kept her traditional values and culture. Bondita is still in school (during the 1930s there weren't any secondary school; just a fee paying school for students aged between 14 and 18) and she has topped all her classes so far. Here is the rest of the story...

"...when we diffrentiate using partial fractions make sure you use the terms 'u' and..."

"Ughhh how long is this lesson going on for," thought Bharathi as he looked up at the towering clock in the corner of the room, "3:50 p.m., ahh so only 10 more minutes and no more Maths in my LIFEEEE!"

Bharathi was so excited about his final Maths lesson as he knew he would not be able to sit through another minute of this anymore but then he reminisced how this was his last ever lesson in a school. He glanced to his side where he saw Bondita seriously making notes about Differentiation next to him and he smiled.

Bharathi met Bondita at their accommodation that was facilitated for international students and their building specifically held Indian students.

They were both 13 at that time but he had been there since he was 11 and did not have any friends merely because all the other Indians were much older than him.

At first he found it difficult to converse with Bondita because he was a Tamil Brahmin whilst she was Bengali and they had some cultural differences.

However language was never a barrier to them because Bharathi grew up learning English and Sanskrit along with Tamil and found it easy to learn Hindi due to this. Similarly despite being Bengali, Bondita speaks Hindi and English fluently all because of her sakha babu's guidance.

Their close age gap allowed them to become the closest friends over these 4 years and they know each other's life inside out.

Bharathi was aware of Bondita's fateful life and how much of a significance her sakha babu, Anirudh Roy Choudary, has on her. He was just as excited as her to meet this great being sometime in the future. On the other hand Bondita also knows the problems that Bharathi had and still has. They are each other's support system in this intimidating, alien world.

"All right!!! I want EVERYONE to do this question now and I will pick on a random person to answer it."

"Huhh, wait isn't our lesson over," Bharathi whined as he looked up at the clock again, "We only have 5 minutes left in our school life and this teacher want us to suffer instead of cherishing it"

He glanced back at Bondita who was smirking seeing his annoyed face. She knew how much he HATED this subject but she, on the other hand, enjoyed it very much. If she was not planning to become a Barrister, she would've considered a degree on Mathematics.

She went back to the question as she knew how strict their teacher was and throughout these years both Bondita and Bharathi noticed how they were treated differently compared to others, probably because they were Indians. They would always be picked at least once in her lessons so Bondita wanted to be prepared just in case.

Bharathi blankly stared at the question, slowly picking it apart and that's when his heart sank.

"Ayyo. I've forgotten the quadratic formula! Bondita! BONDITA!!" he hissed as his hands were shaking.

"Hmmm"

"Bondita, what's the quadratic formula?"

"What? Why do you need that?"