The Final Push

Vashma and Trilochan were frozen on their spots out of fear and it was only after hearing the cries of Shashwati that the young woman came back to her senses.

"Maa! Wake up!" Shashwati sobbed solemnly as she shook her unconscious mother with a clueless Binoy watching over the bed.

The child's cry tingled Vashma's heart strings and she decided to take the lead of the situation. Vashma hurriedly went up to Sampoorna and attempted to gain her consciousness by splashing water on her face.

There was a slight response from her where she fluttered her eyes heavily, however that only lasted a few seconds as Sampoorna lost her senses once again.

Vashma was now feeling extremely agitated, especially from hearing Shashwati and now Binoy crying too, and began to take deep breaths. In vain, she looked at Trilochan helplessly.

"Kaka Sasurji, can you help me place Sampoorna Maa on the bed please..." she begged with trembling hands.

Trilochan juddered as he came out of his bubble and frantically nodded before nearing the scene. For a second he stared at Sampoorna's worrying state with a blank mind before uneasily inhaling as he mentally prepared for what he was about to do.

Trilochan was honestly not comfortable with the thought of touching his sister-in-law but he knew at this tense moment he had to be sensible and mature.

As Vashma watched on, the grown man, despite being quite old, managed to swiftly pick up Sampoorna in a bridal style and place her carefully on the bed in one quick motion.

As soon as she was rested, Vashma began to shakily tap Sampoorna's cheek, murmuring, "Please wake up... Please..."

From seeing such a sight, Trilochan had recurring flashbacks of seeing Shubra in her death bed and that jolted him to get into action.

"I-I'll call the doctor right away." he nervously stuttered before sprinting out of the room to reach the telephone.

Unfortunately it was as if luck was running away from this family; when Trilochan attempted to dial the nearest hospital he realised that the heavy storm outside had dismantled their telephone line.

Even then, the old man resiliently tried his best to call Somnath, internally praying for the best, however like before his attempts were unsuccessful.

"Durga Maa, please show us some mercy!" Trilochan cried in despair as he weakly held onto the telephone.

Just as the zaminder was about to turn back to the room, he heard the sound of a jeep parking outside the haveli and it immediately sparked some hope in him.

He then hastily ran down the stairs towards the entrance but was stunned to find Anirudh, Bondita and Batuk walking in drenched from all the rain with a sheepish smile smitten on their face.

"W-Where's Somnath?" Trilochan frantically enquired as he looked passed them at the doorway.

Anirudh looked behind too before lightheartedly shrugging, "He might still be working in his night shift."

The look of panic and stress in Trilochan's eyes were caught by the trio who looked at one another cluelessly.

"Kaka Sasurji, are you okay?" Bondita enquired, "You look really worried..."

Trilochan weakly glanced at his nephews and bahu as he swallowed in fear.

"S-Sampoorna-"

"AAAARRRGGHHHHHH!!!"

The loud scream echoed off the walls of the dimly lit haveli, sending chills down the spine of everyone.

Immediately they all rushed upstairs towards Binoy's room and were utterly shocked to see Sampoorna in such a fragile state.