Blooming Buds

"Uhh well... for how long are we going to hide the fact that we have a contractual marriage to your family?"

Batuk's smile faded away as she asked this abrupt question. He looked down at his fingers, thinking of a suitable response.

"I'm not sure... I guess until we figure something about Kabir." Batuk quietly replied before turning to face Vashma, "Why are you asking this?"

Vashma let out a deep breath and explained, "It's because I don't think I can keep this secret in for long. Bondita was just asking me some simple questions and yet I was stumbling to answer them. How am I going to face the others when they start asking more about out relationship? I barely even know anything about you, your family or your customs!"

Batuk felt bad from seeing her in such a distressed state and was trying to figure out how to console her.

"I'm sorry for making you go through all of this. I should've planned out everything more clearly beforehand..."

Vashma glanced at Batuk guiltily and slowly shook her head at him.

"No, none of this is your fault. You are only trying to help me and I'm ever so grateful for that... but.... I don't know... I'm very scared and stressed, Batuk." Vashma tearfully opened up, "On one side I feel guilty for making you go through hell with me and on the other, I'm worried that the courthouse people are going to find me soon!"

"Vashma, don't worry about that, they won't be able to find you here and also even if we are going outside, you're going to be wearing a burqa anyways. Plus, don't worry about me, it's my pleasure to help you find your son no matter what and hopefully within one year, as that is how long our contract lasts for."

"Hmm..." Vashma hummed in confusion, "But we also need to decide on the stuffs we are allowed to inform your family about."

"Errr like what?"

"Well, I've already told Bondita that we met each other through some mutual friends and that we married suddenly because the situation wasn't in our favour. Those were my literal words so don't go around telling the opposite of what I said."

"Oh... ok" Batuk replied as he processed this, "What else do we need to lie or hide about?... Oh yes, don't open your mouth about where you are from, your background, your son, literally anything. It's not just that I don't want people to find out about our marriage but I also don't want your reputation to get tarnished too in the process..."

Vashma peered over at Batuk gratefully and nodded her head in agreement. They spoke some more about the Roy Chowdary family as Batuk explained the characteristics of each family members so that Vashma was a bit more aware of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anirudh and Bondita were still in the balcony, cuddling themselves within the blanket. For a while, they were admiring the stars and the moon but soon, Bondita gently dozed off in Anirudh's embrace.

He realised the stillness in Bondita's body language and peered down only to see her softly sleeping on his chest. This sight was so beautiful and serene that Anirudh actually sat there for a couple of minutes just to admire the way she slept.

He then slowly got up, and as a result, Bondita was slowly stirring in her sleep. Anirudh smiled gently and picked her up in his arms and carefully took her downstairs, back inside the haveli.