STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Mr. Gold's car came to a stop in front of the town boundary. He got out and popped the truck, where Smee was bound and gagged inside.

Mr. Gold removed the gag and led Smee over the town line before saying, "This will only take a moment."

"Don't... push me over," Smee begged. "If I cross this line, I'll lose my memory. It's a cruel fate."

"A fate you were more than willing to bestow upon Belle." He kicked Smee to the ground and took his hat. "You've had this rag since the day we met. Why is it so important to you?"

"My grandmother made it for me when I was a boy. It's always brought me good fortune. What difference does it make?"

Mr. Gold poured a potion over the hat, causing it to glow. "Oh... All the difference in the world. It's your only chance." He threw the hat back to Smee, who quickly put it on.

"What do you mean, my only-"

Mr. Gold pushed Smee over the town boundary. A surge of blue magic pulsed through his body and stopped.

"What's your name?" Mr. Gold asked.

"William Smee," Smee replied.

"And who am I?"

"Rumpelstiltskin. The Dark One. I remember everything! How can this be?"

"Well, it seems our little experiment was a success. Now go." Smee fled the scene. "I have a trip to plan."

---

Several Storybrooke residents were gathered around a casket and a tombstone. It read 'Archibald Hopper - Friend and Conscience'.

Mary Margaret gave the eulogy. "Some of us knew him as Archie. Others, as Jiminy. But we all knew him as a true friend. And though, he may now be gone, he will always live on inside of us. Reminding us to be our best selves, to do the right thing, to always fight for what we believe. So, we shouldn't think of today as goodbye, just as a way of saying... Archie, we'll be listening."

Marco walked up to the tombstone and laid Archie's umbrella against it before saying, "I miss you so much, my friend. Well, at least... You are in a better place."

---

In the hold of Hook's ship, Hook was interrogating Archie, who was still tied up.

"Wait!" Archie cried. "No, please, don't! Wait! Please! Please!"

"Shh... As your patient, the Dark One must've told you all manner of secrets," Hook said. "Where is his dagger?"

"I don't know anything about a dagger."

"No, you don't, do you? It's his weakness. Now, tell me, does he have any others?" Archie didn't respond. "Very well. I've always wanted to dissect a cricket." He dug his hook into Archie's forehead.

"No! Wait. Wait. Please."

"Ah... That's more like it. Now tell me, Cricket, what is his weakness?"

---

Belle entered Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop. "Hey. What, uh... What's wrong that you couldn't tell me on the phone?"

"I did it," Mr. Gold replied. "I can leave."

"You can cross the town line?"

"Indeed I can. When I pour this potion onto the object I hold most dear, that object becomes a talisman, and allows me to cross the town line and still remember who I am."

"And who you're looking for?"

"My boy."

"What, um... What will you enchant?"