22

PAST - 2001 - LAND  WITHOUT MAGIC - PORTLAND - A DESERTED AMUSEMENT PARK

A young Emma was waiting for someone. After a while, Neal approached her carrying one coffee to go in each hand.

"You said you owed me a drink," Emma said. "I thought we'll met in a place like a bar. A restaurant. Or some place - you know - with chairs."

"Patience," Neal told her. "I've got something better in mind. Here. Hold this." He handed Emma his coffee. Neal knelt down. Using a wire, he opened the locked door. Emma watched him.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Tumblers. It's all about the tumblers." Neal succeeded. He opened the door. "Come on. It's worth it. I promise." They entered. Neal switched on the carousel's lights. "What did I tell you?"

"Yeah, all right. It's pretty cool."

"Come on. Hop on." Emma sat. Neal took a seat in front of her.

"So, what's your story, Neal?"

"That's an interesting choice of words. My "story" is that I left a screwed up situation and that kind of screwed me up."

"Crappy home life? I get that."

"Nah, it wasn't always. It - That's the problem. It was really great once."

"So, why don't you go back to try and fix it?"

"I can't really go back. It's my father."

"Bad guy?"

"Not at first. But he changed. That's when things got really crazy. But before that? It was home. It was nice. That's how you know you've really got a home: When you leave it, there's that feeling that you can't shake. You just miss it."

THE ENCHANTED FOREST - THE EVIL QUEEN'S PALACE - THE DUNGEON

A guard pushed Emma and Jackie roughly into a cell and locked the door behind them.

An imprisoned woman asked Emma and Jackie, "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I think so," Emma replied. "Thanks. I'm Leia. This is Anne."

"I wish I could say, it was nice to meet you two."

"Yeah, but under the circumstances, I get it. What's your name?"

"I dare not speak in here. The Queen doesn't know who I am. My silence is the only thing keeping my family safe."

"She's pretty ruthless, huh? Here." Through the bars, Emma handed the prisoner a roll. "Are you hungry? I swiped it of a food tray on my way down." The prisoner stood up and took the roll. The woman noticed Emma's surprised look.

"What? What is it?"

"I saw you in the village. With the Queen. I wanted to help but-"

"It's all right. If you had tried to free me you'd just ended up in here a day sooner."

"What did she put you in here for?" Jackie asked.

"I knew where Snow White was hiding. But I refused to tell the Queen."

"You gave up your freedom to ensure Snow White's?"

The woman nodded. "Yeah. I believe her to be innocent."

"How long are you in for?" Emma wondered.

"Same as you. Just one more night."

"Really? One night? Why? Is Regina going soft?"