FAIRY TALE LAND - PAST

A young Snow White entered the main chamber of the castle, where Queen Eva was consulting several women. Snow White was dressed in a pink, sparkly ball gown.

"Let's be certain she's seated as far away from the Duke as possible, for the Duchess' sake," Queen Eva said

"Yes, ma'am," a woman replied before she and the women left.

"Do you like it?" Snow White asked.

"Oh, my dear Snow. You are an absolute vision," Queen Eva told her daughter. "You are going to be the talk of the ball, and not just because it's for your birthday." They hugged briefly. "Come. I can hardly believe you're growing up so fast. Which reminds me... I have a gift for you. It was my mother's once, and her mother's before that. And soon, it will be yours."

In another room, a diamond tiara sat in a padded box. Johanna pickled it up and places it on her head, then admired herself in the mirror. However, Queen Eva and Snow White enter and caught her in the act. She quickly removed the tiara.

"Johanna," Queen Eva called.

"Oh!" Johanna exclaimed. "Oh, Your Majesty. Oh, please forgive me. I just wanted to see-"

"How dare you?" Snow White said. "That's mine. It's not for a servant."

"It was my mistake."

"Servants don't wear crowns."

"Enough," Queen Eva warned.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty-" Johanna was cut off.

"No, I was talking to Snow."

"Me?" Snow White questioned.

"I thought I raised you better than that, Snow. It doesn't matter whether one is a servant or royalty. Everyone in the kingdom deserves our love and respect."

"But she took my tiara-"

"She apologized. And it isn't yours yet."

"Your Majesty, it's all right," Johanna said.

"You're kind, Johanna, but Snow must learn. My dear, we are all the same."

"But I thought we were royals," Snow White stated.

"We are, but that doesn't make us better than anyone else," Queen Eva told her. "The upcoming ball, for instance – can you tell me what it's for?"

"It's to honor me on my birthday."

"No. It's for you to honor them, by showing them you will be a kind and benevolent leader when that time comes. Please." Johanna handed the tiara to Queen Eva. "When you are crowned with this on your birthday, it will be a symbol that you will always hold goodness in your heart and rule justly. Now do you understand?"

"I do, Mother." Queen Eva handed the tiara to Snow White, who then walked over to the mirror. She didn't put it on. "It's beautiful."

"And it's heavier than it looks." Suddenly, Queen Eva gasped in pain and her knees buckled beneath her.

Johanna rushed to support her. "Your Majesty!"

"Mother!" Snow White cried.

"I'm fine," Queen Eva reassured.

"No, no. You're not."

Johanna eased the Queen into a chair. "Come. There. I'm getting the doctor." She quickly left the room.