22

𓃗

"Well you look very....fresh" Ophelia said sarcastically once a very tired and hungover Enzo stood beside her.

Everyone was standing outside the castle to wave Mary and Francis off. The newly weds were off on their honeymoon around France.

"Yes, yes make jokes darling." Enzo rolled his eyes at the girl. He wasn't actually annoyed at her antics he was just too tired for them.

Ophelia only smiled at his moodiness.

As the two were talking Mary and Francis had walked up to the pair.

"Don't have too much fun without us."Mary said with a teasing smile on her face.

"I should be saying the to you." Ophelia winked in reply.

Mary let out a laugh as she pulled Ophelia in for a hug. Ophelia quickly reciprocated the gesture.

"I'll see you soon Lia."

As Ophelia pulled away from her friend, Francis smiled in goodbye, letting Mary take his arm.

Once the royals were in their carriage everyone outside waved them off.

"How about we go riding?" Enzo asked sensing the dark haired girls sadness.

"I'd love to." She said, a smile quickly placed on her face at the thought of a horse.

𓃗

"You know, I've never seen you as happy as you are now." Enzo announced as he and Ophelia were trotting along a lake.

Ophelia tilted his head at the man's statement.

"What do you mean?"

"Well lately you haven't been happy as you were when you first arrived." The brown haired man explained to the girl.

"You didn't know me when I first arrived." She pointed out.

"I suppose I didn't, but I was in fact there when the most beautiful woman arrived in France." Enzo flirted shamelessly.

Luckily Ophelia's hair covered his view of her face otherwise he would have seen the deep blush on her cheeks from his compliment.

"It's a shame that she didn't see you." The dark haired girl replied back.

"I'm surprised she gave me the time of day to even talk to her." He continued.

"I don't see why she wouldn't"

Enzo was silent for a moment. He really was surprised that Ophelia had given him the time of day, especially since she was always looking after Mary, not to mention her brother.

"It getting late we should head back." Ophelia's sweet voice drew him from his thoughts.

"You are right." He sent a smile her way as they guided their horses towards the stables.

"Thank you Zo. For doing this."

"Anything for you darling"

𓃗

"How is Ophelia, my son?" Henry asked as he and Enzo were playing around with wooden swords like children.

"She's alright." Was all he said. The man wasn't too keen on talking about the woman he had a crush on with his father.

"I knew her father. Good man who did what he had to do to keep his family safe." Henry said as if he was hiding something.

"Why are you telling me this?" Enzo furrowed his eyebrows, wondering why his father was being so cryptic.

Henry cleared his throat before setting his wooden sword down prompting his son to do the same.

"He died when Ophelia was young. Their mother had an affair, then man came to 'retrieve' her. Thomas wouldn't let that happen. So the man killed Thomas." The French king explained, ignoring his question.

Enzo was silent as Henry talked.

"They all believed Thomas was dead. He wasn't. I don't know all of the details but he did come to me a few months after his 'death'." He finished.

"So Thomas Gold never actually died." Enzo concluded.

"Correct" Henry nodded.

"Why are you telling me this now?" The brown haired man asked once again.

"Thomas is here, in French Court. He needed to see Ophelia." The king finally told his son.

Enzo froze. He had finally seen Ophelia starting to return to her normal self since her brother left, this wasn't good.

"I need to go." Was all Enzo said before walking out of the room towards the direction of Ophelia's chambers.

𓃗

As Ophelia opened the doors to her chambers she felt another presence.

She quietly picked up the dagger that was laying on her desk near the door.

"Who's there?" The girl called out as she crept towards her bed.

The window beside the bed was open, she didn't remember leaving the open.

As she closed it, dagger still in hand a voice spoke.

"There's no need for the dagger little one"

The dagger dropped from her hand and clattered to the floor.

"Dad?"

𓃗