45

𓃗

"How are you feeling, my love?" Ophelia asked softly as she played with Enzo's curls.

"It doesn't hurt as much." He slightly smiled up at her.

The two were lying in bed, resting before dealing with the day they had ahead of them. Enzo's head was on Ophelia's chest, listening to her heartbeat that soothed his nerves.

"Will Mary be here for the coronation?" Enzo asked the dark haired woman, knowing how much Mary being there meant to her.

Mary had been distant trying to deal with the loss of Francis and Ophelia was trying to give her all the space and time she needs, but that's difficult when you're about to be a queen and haven't the slightest clue on how to do it.

"Hopefully, I don't blame her if she doesn't want to be there though." Ophelia looked down to see her husband already looking at her.

"She will." He paused, "She can't really refuse a king in his own country." He added cheekily, earning a light slap on the cheek from his wife.

Ophelia laughed before moving to get up. Something Enzo wasn't happy with.

"Do we have to?" He groaned.

"I'm afraid so." Ophelia leaned down and placed a kiss on his cheek, before moving to pick out a dress to wear for the day.

𓃗

"You will be travelling to Paris to greet the townspeople." There were multiple lords sitting at a long table, Enzo at the head, as they discussed the plans for the upcoming weeks after the coronation, which was only a day away.

Ophelia wasn't really paying attention to what they were saying considering most of the men didn't like the fact that she was there. Apparently this was 'men's business', and to be honest she didn't even want to be here either, she just didn't like being told what to do by unknown men.

"What about her? She sounds promising." Catherine was sat beside Ophelia as they read over letters sent by multiple girls all over the continent looking to be Ophelia's lady in waiting.

"Hm, very young." The girl was a few years older than Charlie. But she did sound very smart and well organised. Something that Catherine told her was perfect traits for a lady.

"Well you weren't too far off her age when you first arrived here, my dear." Time had passed rather quickly in France.

Ophelia nodded, "I suppose you're right." She took a piece of paper and a quill and began writing a letter to send to her new lady, should she accept.

"Have you told Enzo yet?" Catherine asked quietly as to not be heard by the men in the room.

Ophelia's gaze automatically went towards where her husband sat.

"No, not yet."

Catherine only sighed at the young woman before returning to look at the other letters.

"Soon." Ophelia promised the older woman giving her hand a reassuring squeeze.

Catherine sent her a look, "At this rate you'll be showing before you tell him." She muttered.

"I could be huge and he probably wouldn't notice." Ophelia hummed in amusement seen as she did have a slight bump which was unnoticeable unless you you were really looking hard enough.

The queen mother snorted at the comment which gained a look from one of the Lords. Ophelia sent him a slight glare, causing him to blush furiously and duck his head down.

"Keep doing that and you'll be a perfect queen." Catherine commented just as the meeting finally finished, everyone beginning to file out of the room.

The blonde sent a look towards her daughter-in-law once she saw her son approaching them. Ophelia being quick to shake her head and plaster a smile on her face as she faced her husband.

"Hello, darling." Enzo planted a kiss on Ophelia's cheek before sending a smile to his mother.

"I will leave you two alone." Catherine smiled at the couple before leaving to do whatever Catherine deMedici does.

Enzo turned his head to look at Ophelia, "Did you pay attention to anything that was said?" He asked in amusement.

"Of course not." She scoffed, "I only stayed because it annoyed them."

"Of course you did." The man chuckled, wrapping his arm around Ophelia's shoulders, leaving her to wrap hers around his waist as they walked out together.

𓃗

"Mary." Ophelia greeted the Scottish queen with a smile. Mary weakly returned the gesture.

"I've been meaning to talk to you." Mary began as she linked arms with her past lady.

Ophelia nodded, her curled hair bouncing as she did so.

"I will be leaving France, to return to Scotland." The queen quickly continued before Ophelia could say anything, "I will be here for your coronation, but I can't stay here any longer. It hurts everywhere I look-" Mary cut herself off.

"You see him." Ophelia smiled sympathetically at her friend. She lifted her hand to cup Mary's cheek. "This is your home, Mary, it will always be your home. You will always be allied with France, it's still your country."

Mary was quick to shake her head in denial, "It is your country now, Lia." She paired her words with a smile, but Ophelia could see how it pained her to say it.

"You'll stay for the celebrations?" It was shocking to think about how Ophelia was going to be a queen in just a days time.

"Of course I will." Mary smiled softly, leaning in to wrap her arms around her, pulling her into a tight embrace.

"I love you." The brunette queen whispered as she squeezed Ophelia slightly.

"I love you too, Mary."

𓃗

Authors Note
I want to take this book down and fix it because the timeline is soooooo fucked up and I have so many plot holes.

This chapters kinda shitty and In really not bothered to proof read so please comment if I made a mistake.

Have a good day <3
-K