Chapter 33

Original Universe, Lei’s POV

The train slowed down as I looked out the window, there isn’t many big buildings as this is a small town.

I’m finally here again after 9 years, but I don’t even feel any happy even the slightest.

I thought as the train stopped completely, I stood from my seat and picked up my bag. I got off the train and walked out of the station, I saw that there’s a taxi not far from me and I called it.

I got inside and said my destination to the driver, he nodded and the car started moving. After a while, we arrived, I got off the taxi and paid him.

I turned around, I saw the house me and my family used to live in. It’s quite a big house, but usually only me and Ray are home.

Our parents only came home once a week, they said it was because their job. But, they never tell us what is their job.
I started walking and opened my bag to pick up the key to the gate, I opened it and got inside.

The grass are tall because it hasn't been taken care of for a long time, I walked while I looked around.

Memories came to me from the past, when me and Ray was still small. We usually play with each other in front of the house, playing tag or hide and seek.
It was fun.

I smiled as I continue walking to the front door of the house, I picked up my key and opened the door.

I got inside and tried to turn on the light switch, I walked for a bit and found it.

Click.

A sound was heard as I flicked it up, but the light didn’t turned on.

Well, I already expected that.

I thought as I sighed, luckily there are lights coming through the window. It was the right decision to came here when the sun is still up.

I started walking around the house, first I checked the first floor. I walked to the kitchen but there’s not much there, so I walked to the dining room and there’s nothing much as well.

I walked to the living room and saw the tv, it was still hanging on the wall. This tv was bought by our parent to make sure we’re up to date on the news, but we don’t really use it often.

I tried turning on the tv, but it didn’t turned on as well. I walked back to the main room, it was where the stairs to the second floor is.

I walked up the stairs, I continued walking towards my room. I opened it, it was the same sight from what I remembered.

I got inside and checked under the bed, there is a box. I grabbed it, I sat down on the bed and opened the box.

There is some pictures and a book, I picked up the pictures and saw that it was me and Ray’s pictures.

I smiled as I looked at it one by one, all the pictures was showing me and Ray with smile on our face.

I put down the pictures and picked up the book, it was my diary. I opened it and started reading it, it’s mostly about me and Ray’s daily life.

There are other things like when we were in kindergarden, and primary school. But, we changed school when we’re on 3rd grade.

I put down the book and put it inside my bag, I picked up the pictures and put it inside my bag as well.

I stood up and got ouf the room, I looked back for the last time before closing the door.

I walked for a bit and arrived at Ray’s room, I tried to open it but strangely it was locked.

Huh ? Why is it locked ? I’m pretty sure it isn't locked because the other rooms aren’t locked.

I pulled back my hand, as I tried to think of a solution.

Well, I can break it open. But, I’m not sure if Ray would like that.

I sighed, before I walked away, I tried to open it one last time. It’s still locked, so I just walked away.

I arrived at my parent’s room, I opened it and got inside. It was quite a normal room, but I feel like there’s something here.

I focused my senses and tried to feel the energy around me, it was the same one from the picture.

Something is definitely here, I need to know what it is.

I walked around the room and started searching for anything that looks suspicious, but I found a notebook in a drawer. Strangely though, it was quite hidden. So I  grabbed it and opened it.

It looks like a journal ? It keeps saying things like ‘experiments’ and ‘subject’... Oh ! There’s a key on the last page, I wonder where this key is used for.

I grabbed the key and continued on searching, but there’s nothing much other than the notebook I found.

I got out of the room and tried the key to Ray’s room, it didn’t worked.

Well, worth a try.

I thought as I tried to walk away, if not for the sound that suddenly appeared.

Click.

Huh ?

I looked back and saw that Ray’s room is now open.

Lei : “Uh, did you do that ?”

I asked the Herrscher, but strangely she didn’t give me a response.

Lei : “Uh, Herrscher ?”

Silence appeared, I was confused by this different response as she usually answered my call.

I tried to walk inside Ray’s room and I did got inside, I saw that it was not that different from my own room.

I walked around the room and found a book on the table, there’s no title on it.
I picked it up and opened it.

Let’s see here... Huh ?

I was confused when I saw that it was not a normal book, it was about his investigation about this house.

A second basement ? There’s something like that here ?

I asked myself as I continued on reading, he actually got something from the second basement.

“I saw it ! There’s something there ! I didn’t know what it is but I feel like it’s a really important thing, I almost got caught when I exited the room. Thank goodness there was a box that can fit me inside, hiding me from him. J need to investigate further, but I don’t know if there will be another time as the door can only be opened by the key from him. But, I put a mark on the door to make sure I will never lose it.”

I finished reading and grabbed the book, I got out of the room and walked downstairs.

I walked to the basement and turned on my flashlight, I searched for the mark Ray made and I found it.

But, it was a bookshelf. I noticed that what Ray marked was a book, I tried to grabbed it but instead it got turned down.

The bookshelf moved, revealing a door behind it. I grabbed the key I found in my parents’s room, and I put it inside the keyhole.

It fit ! Now, let’s try opening it.

I spun the key and a click was heard, I grabbed the handle and opened the door.

It reveals a stairs going down, I walked down as I used my flashlight as my source of light.

After I arrived at the bottom, there is only darkness. I looked around and noticed a switch, I flicked it up and the light turned on.

Lei : “?!”

I got surprised when the light turned on.

Lei : “Is that an experimental tube ?”

I noticed that there are monitors around the tube, but it’s all turned off.

The tube was dusty, so I used my hand and tried to slide it on the tube to see what’s inside it.

Lei : “Wha-?!”

I quickly teleported back a few steps as I saw a pair of eyes, it was closed but nonetheless it did surprised me. But, when I looked at it more carefully it was not moving.

I found a small cloth on the floor and used it to wipe the dust of the tube, and I was shocked to see that there is a body inside the tube.

Lei : “It’s... Me ?”

It was as if a mirror was placed in front of me, but her eyes are closed so I’m not sure if we have the same eyes.

Our hair is the same, and so is our body. I tried to turned on the monitor, to my surprised it’s starting to turn on.

I noticed there are bubbles slowly appearing in the tube, I also realized a monitor was showing some kind of heart rate is starting to let out sounds.

Lei : “It’s... Alive ?”

It was alive, because the heart rate was beating normally. I looked at one of the monitor and saw a file, it’s named “Experiment Results”.

I clicked on it and it shows a lot of files, meaning there was a lot of experiments.
I clicked on the latest file, it was a note file. I opened it and read it.

“The experiment has finally succeded as the subject has shown a result of stability in handling the power, with this the project “Herrscher Re-Creation” has been completed.”

Lei : “Project ‘Herrscher Re-Creation' ? What is that ?”

I asked myself as I continued reading the note.

“The subject has the same appearance as my daughter because I used her DNA on the process, after it got injected by liquid #183 and her DNA, it shows a successful transformation.”

Lei : “Huh...? My daughter ? Does that mean... Dad did this ?”

There is a picture beside it, it shows the girl that looks like me but her eyes are black. Different from my white eyes.
I was shocked to know that it was my own dad that did all this experiment, I stopped looking at the monitor and moved my gaze to the girl inside the tube.

Her chest was slowly moving up and down, signalling she was still breathing even after 9 years.

I calmed down myself and continued to read the monitor.

“It is fortunate that the subject can survive even when the machine is off, but it is not advised to leave it off for a long time as the oxygen will be empty.”

I continued to read until the end, I was still overwhelmed by this new information.

I sat down on the chair, I looked at the tube and starting to think when I suddenly realized something.

Lei : “Wait... Why does she looks like you ?”

I asked the Herrscher who finally appeared and standing close to me, but strangely she didn’t float like how she used to be when she appeared.

Herrscher : “...”

She didn’t answer my question, instead she kept on looking at the girl inside the tube.

Another Universe, Ray’s POV

I gasped as I woke up, I quickly looked around.

White space ? Is this mine ? No, it’s not. It feels different from Veliona’s as well.

I thought as I calmed down myself, but it seems like I’m not alone as I heard footsteps coming towards me.

??? : “Hey you, you’re finally awak-“

Ray : “Please stop with the meme, we’ve used it too many times now.”

I looked at her deadpanned.

Author : Hey ?! You weren’t supposed to do that !

Narrator : Well, but he is right though. We’ve used it like two times, or even three times now.

Author : *Sigh* Okay okay.

Cut #2

??? : “Oh ? You’re awake Ray ?”

Ray : “Huh ? How did you know my name ? And where are we ? Also who are you ?”

??? : “Woah, slow down with the questions.”

Ray : “Sorry, I was just confused.”

??? : “No, it’s okay. Anyway, have a seat.”

She snapped her finger, two seat and a table between them appeared.

She sat down and I did the same, she snapped her finger again and now tea appeared in front of us.

??? : “We can’t have a conversation without a drink can’t we ?”

She smiled and I just nodded in response.

??? : “Now, let me introduce myself. I can’t tell you my real name, but you can call me Rosemary.