Chapter 69

--- Behind the Scenes ---

Zero: ...

Zero: ...oh?

Zero: You're finally here. Took you some time, huh?

Zero: Hm? Am I alone? Yep. I'm alone here. In this small room with nothing but floating screens.

Zero: A place where nothing is real. A place where time doesn't advance. A place... where fiction and reality met.

Zero: Hah...

Zero: Fate sure is an interesting thing. It knows nothing will stop it. It also knows that nothing will happen if one were to try and fight it.

Zero: Now that I think about it...

Zero: Just when was the last time I—...or rather, the real me out there fought against fate? Did he succeed? Did he fail? Or did he...

Zero: ...

Zero: Well, neither of that is important in the end. After all...

Zero: What has happened will stay in the past. What one should be worried about is the next step forward.

Zero: Alright. That's all from me.

Zero: Oh? I'm also starting to disappear now. I must say though, what an interesting feeling---

--- Start of Chapter ---

[Somewhere in Nagazora, 3rd POV]

Lei: "Nice."

Kiana: "Eh?"

Lei: "No, it's nothing. I just saw a billboard that usually showed an ad of a product that I liked three years ago. Its motto was, 'Nice'."

Kiana: "Okay...?"

Toward her sudden explanation, Kiana only tilted her head a bit before looking forward again.

Kiana: "Hah... So much happened while I was gone, huh? Allying with Anti Entropy, Bronya going into the Sea of Quanta, and World Serpent finally deciding to act..."

Mei: "Mhm, yeah."

She tied her hands together behind her lower back and looked at the blue sky.

Kiana: "But at least now I know that my best friends are all fine!"

A wide smile formed on her face. Seeing that iconic smile, Mei smiled as well. The same could be said to Lei.

Kiana: "Shame that Bronya's still short as usual. I would've liked to see at least a difference, even if it's only a single centimeter."

Lei: "Well, just like how her height didn't change, so is your brain."

Kiana: "E-eh?! Y-you..."

Lei closed her eyes and smiled wider.

Kiana: "Ugh... That face... A face that you made every time you're enjoying yourself."

Lei: "Oh my, you realized that."

Kiana: "Just how many times do you think that you've been having fun teasing me without me noticing it...?"

An exasperated expression formed on her face as she said that. But then, a sigh left her mouth.

Kiana: "But even so..."

Her eyes wander to the buildings around them. As if comparing their surroundings with a certain place.