Chapter 39

Another Universe, Ray’s POV

I arrived in front of a cave, I looked around and noticed that this place was quite hidden. Luckily, the quantum energy didn’t disappear in the middle of my search so I didn’t get lost.

Now… I wonder what’s inside ?

I thought asI walked inside the cave, there were a lot of spikes coming out of the ceilings. Water sounds came from around me, but my main focus was searching for the source of the quantum energy.

As I headed deeper into the cave, the spikes were becoming less and less. Until it finally silent, there’s no water sound or any other sound including my own steps.

After a while, I arrived at a steel door. There was no handle on the door, but when I touched it, the door suddenly moved to one side.

Ray : A sliding door ?

Naron : No, more like a gate. There were actually seals on it, but when you touched it the seals got unlocked. Meaning, it may have some kind of connection to you.

Ray : Really ? Do you have any idea where this “Gate” leads to ?

Naron : No, there is a barrier that blocked connections from the inside. And there is also a barrier that blocked your senses, so you can only use your intuition if there's something dangerous.

Ray : My senses huh ? But the quantum energy came from inside this “Gate”, so there really is no other choice…

Naron : …

Ray : Well, if I succeeded and got out again, will I end up in this exact same place ?

Naron : That is… Something I’m not sure…

Ray : I see… But if I choose to get in now, you’ll follow right ?

Naron : Of course, after all… I’m your partner.

I smiled fearlessly, but before I entered it. I looked back to see the cave entrance which was actually just a light from my position.

It was… A nice life…

I walked inside the gate, not knowing what or where I would end up.

Original Universe, Lei’s POV

Lei : “...Dad ?”

Dad(?) : “Yes, Lei ?”

Lei : “H-how…?”

Dad only gave me a smile as he started to walk, I quickly followed him.

Dad(?) : “Why don’t you take a little closer look, Lei ?”

Lei : “What do you-”

At that point, I suddenly realized something. I noticed that there was a light that always followed him, and when I took a more detailed look at him.

Lei : “A hologram ?”

Dad(?) : “Correct, my real body is already gone as you know it.”

Lei : “But how did you ?”

Dad : “I made this hologram because I know I will die, and it’s because of… My own creation.”

Lei (N) : His own creation ?

Lei (S) : The monster from the note we found… The one who killed all the scientists and staffs

Lei (N) : W-wha…?

Dad : “Done talking to your other self, Lei ?”

Lei (S) : He knows ? But how ?

Dad : “If you’re wondering how I know, other Lei… Or should I call you... Leila ?”

Lei : “H-huh ?”

Leila(?) : W-wha ?!

Dad : “It seems like you don’t even know your name ? Lei Kinara and Leila… Kinara.”

Lei : “W-wait ! You said I was the only daughter of the Kinara family !”

Dad : “Yes, I did indeed say that… After all, someone who has died even before birth can not be called a member of the family right ?”

I couldn’t see his expression as he turned around while saying that, and I was so shocked to the point I couldn’t talk. But…

Lei(Leila?) : “I-i died…?”

Lei : “H-huh ? W-what-”

Dad : “It seems you have finally decided to talk, Leila. Even though you need to use Lei’s mouth to do so.”

Dad chuckled, I was still confused on how she was able to talk even though I’m still me… Or am I ?

Dad : “Well, to make it easier… Let’s do this.”

He clapped his hand, and suddenly walls appeared around me. It looks like a transparent wall, but something happened after that.

Lei : “A-AH ?!”

My body felt a pain I had never experienced in my whole life. I could hear Leila(?) groaning from the pain as well. Suddenly, I feel like my body got thrown to the side. The pain is gone, but it got replaced by the pain of my body that got thrown away.

Lei : “A-agh…”

I tried to stand up, which I eventually did. But, when I looked to the side…

Lei : “H-huh ?!”

I saw myself, as if I was looking at a mirror.

Dad : “Wow... So it really worked ?”

Dad laughed as he walked to the other me, I noticed she was also confused at what just happened.

Dad : “Leila…”

He said as he touched the transparent wall that quickly changed to glass, and it also changed mine.

Leila : “...”

Leila stayed silent as she looked at her own body, I couldn’t help but notice that her expression was that of a…

Leila : “Tell me… Am I really... Dead ?”

… Sad one.

Dad : “... Yes.”

Leila : “How… Did I die ?”

Dad’s expression turned into a regretful one while I stayed silent.

Dad : “When… I heard that my wife... Your mother, was pregnant and it was twins…”

Lei : We were... Twins...?

Dad : “I was... So happy… My co-workers all congratulate me… Even my boss gave me a day off to see her… And…”

We both stayed silent at his story, because this is… The Unknown Truth.

Meanwhile, Himeko’s POV

Lei had been missing for over a month, we couldn’t connect to her communicator. There was also news about Fu Hua’s disappearance and Theresa, she had found Kiana’s trace. But, she was confused on who to choose to search for Lei. I volunteered myself to go, she was worried but I convinced her that this is something I have to do in order to repay Ray. In the end, she gave up and allowed me to search for Lei.

I noticed that the view was slowing down, meaning the train had almost reached the station. I grabbed my bag and looked at my greatsword, it was different. Because my old greatsword was broken, Anti-Entropy gave me a new one. After the train came to a complete stop, the doors slid open and I walked out.

There were two locations where the communicator’s position was blocked. Lei’s old house, and in the middle of the forest. I asked the locals about Lei’s address, and eventually I arrived in front of a big house that looked like it had been abandoned for a long time.

I tried to open the gate, and it opened. It was quite alarming that it was not locked, so I cautiously walked until I arrived at the front door. I carefully opened the door-

?!

I quickly ducked down, barely dodging a slice from beside me. I quickly grabbed my greatsword and swung it, but there was no one.

Wait what ?

I was confused, There was a clear mark of something just got sliced on the wall beside me. But, I just realized that there was no weapon near me.

Then how ?

My surroundings were normal, no weapons or any other dangerous things that could slice something. But suddenly, a door opened at the end of the room. I calmed myself down and walked towards it while both of my hands were ready on the greatsword.

A few more doors opened and I walked inside it until I finally reached a door with stairs going down behind it, a basement.

Okay… Just like every horror game… Something will definitely-

My thoughts got cut off as I felt something pushed me from behind, I quickly looked back only to see no one was there.

Himeko : “Okay okay, try to have some patience…” *Sigh*

I felt stupid talking to myself, but I’m sure the ghost(?) understood it as it didn’t do anything else. I looked at the darkness in what seemed like bottomless stairs and started walking down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Narrator : Okaaay, that was quite a plot twist

Author : Is it ?

Narrator : Maybe, I don’t know. Perhaps one of the readers already figured it out ?

Author : Well, Lei’s arc is nearing it’s climax !

Narrator : The longest arc yet

Author : Indeed

Narrator : So, you didn’t covered Bronya or HOR’s arc ? And Kiana’s Void Drifter arc ?

Author : Haha no, I’m pretty sure those who read this already know about it... So, why bother ?

Narrator : That is not a good thing to say you know...

Author : I’m sorry :(

Narrator : Anyway, I’m pretty sure the ghost(?) that Himeko encounter is Lei’s herscher ?

Author : Maybe...

Narrator : *Sigh* Always secretive... But other than that !

Author & Narrator : Thank you for reading and we’ll see you in the next chapter ! Bye bye !