E I G H T

Stiles, Scott, and I all quickly stood up to follow her out. Now way. No freaking way. We raced down stairs and down the hall to the set of door, pushing them open just in time to see Erica climb into a car, flashing us a smile.

I looked to the driver to see a face clad with sunglasses. Derek Hale. He looked to us and smiled before spreading off.

Crap.

~

Scott and Stiles opened the door to the ice rink. Allison, Lydia and I all walked in after them. I sat distanced from Stiles and Lydia and Scot and Allison as they put in their skates.

"Could it be any colder in here?" Lydia complained.

Stiles quickly unzipped his bag and pulled out a bright orange scarf, offering it to the strawberry blonde girl. "Here."

"I'm wearing blue." She said after staring at Stiles like her was a complete idiot. "Orange and blue, not a good combination."

"But it's the colors of the mets." I breathed a laughed at his defense.

Lydia gave him a look and he shoved the thing back in his bag before spotting and pulling out a Reese's package, holding it up as another offering. She looked at it in consideration before shrugging and grabbing it.

"Okay, uh, maybe orange and blue, not the best. But, you know, um, sometimes there's other things you would't think would be a good combination that end up turning out to be like a perfect combination, you know?" Holy crap... is he actually gonna do it? In his own spectacularly weird way but still. "You know, like, two people together who nobody ever thought would be together ever, uh..."

"I can see that." Lydia replied. He looked at her, shock and Hope in his eyes.

"You can?"

"Yeah...they're cute together." Stiles slowly looked towards a flirting Scott and Allison as they put on their skates.

"Ah, yeah, them."

"Cute."

"Cuute. Adorable."

I rolled my eyes and stood up to face them. "Let's go." They stood up and walked with me over to the entrance of the rink. "You really need to work on your game." I whispered to him. He visibly winced. "You heard that..."

"Oh, yeah. You went for it, we're going... goodish... and then you screwed up the landing."

"You know how to skate?" Lydia asked, coming up to me.

"Yeah, you?"

"Took lessons as a kid, totally amazing at it." Okay. Me and Lydia went with Stiles on the ice but we broke apart from him and started spinning on one foot, coming out of them gracefully. We smiled at each before skating over to Stiles, who's mouth was hanging open.

"Well," Lydia said, "come on." She grabbed his hand and I smiled as they skated away. I glanced down at the ice when I heard a faint sizzling sound to see a tiny hole of water starting to boil with heat.

"Not now." I hissed understand my breath, willing my magic to stop. I sighed, "glacies soliditur" I muttered and the tiny bit of water froze once again.

A little while later, Lydia was focused on something about the ice. I was slightly concerned but brushed it off, that was until she started screaming in terror. Stiles and I quickly skated over as she continued screaming, trying to get her back to reality. I grabbed her shoulder to try and help but my eyes widened as I looked down at the ice and saw a body in it, thrashing his head around violently while a type of wolfsbane plant grew from the ice.

I gasped slightly as I came back. "Papilio Lux." I muttered under my breath so Stiles couldn't hear and I doubt Scott was listening to me while Lydia's scream rang through our ears. Her screams dudes down as she started whimpering in fear, Stiles holding her in his arms. I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that she was alright.

"Hope, can I talk to you for a second?" Scott questioned. I furrowed my brows but nodded, carefully standing up, making sure I don't fall before skating over to him. "What's up?"

"What does Papilio Lux mean?" He asked and my breath hitched.

"It's, uh, Its Latin. It basically means calm down, it always worked with me as a kid so I tried it with Lydia." I replied, half lying.

"Your heart jumped for a second, What are you hiding from us?" His voice was accusing, as if he already had something in mind, though I could tell it was far from the right answer. I narrowed my eyes, clenching my fists.

"Choose your next words carefully. I have a shitload of anger issues and am prone to violence." I warned him.

"And I'm a werewolf, your punches are nothing compared to mine so I'll ask you one more time, what are you hiding?"

"Go to hell." I spat at him, "We're not even friends, why would I tell you anything?" I snapped before walking away, taking off my skates in private and running away from the rink with my stuff. And by 'in private' I mean invisible.

~

The next day at School I walked through the nearly empty halls and turned a corner to see Erica trapping Scott against a set of lockers. He grabbed her wrists and forcefully moved them away, glaring. Erica glanced over in my direction and gave Scott one final smirk before walking towards me.

"Come with me." She said as she quickly walked by.

"Why?"

"Cause Derek wants to talk to you." I took a breath and quickly followed after her. Even with this new stupid bitchy attitude of hers, I still remember Erica Reyes and she was still one of my friends.

She led me to an old house that I recognized as the one Lydia's scent led to the night we all went looking for her.

Derek stepped out of the house just as Erica and I walked up the drive. "Hope."

"Derek." I acknowledged. "Let's just skip all the formalities since they would be completely pointless and a waste of my time."

He chuckled, walking down the steps to meet us. "That day in the Locker Room, do you remember what I said to you?" He asked me.

"Yeah, you said that I'm different. Why is this important?" I asked impatiently.

"Because, Hope, it took me a while to confirm the theory but I finally have. Your a Werewolf. A cursed Wolf at that." He said.

"Wow, congrats on not being completely stupid." I clapped sarcastically. "What does my species have to anything at the moment?"

"I need you... to join my pack."

"No."

"Let me finish..." I sighed, "You'll have free will, but you'll come when I call and listen to what I tell you to do and do it. You'll have our protection from the Argents as well." He bargained.

"Hmm" I hummed, "you see, technically I'm already bound to a pack."

"Which one would that be?"

"The Crescent Wolf Pack." I answered. He looked slightly surprised but easily pulled himself together. "Aren't those the wolves that can control when they change? The ones that aren't completely bound to the moon anymore?"

"That's right."

He sighed. "You can get back to them when they're actually around. With us, you'll have friends, you'll help each other, you'll go against Scott."

"What makes you think I want to go against him?" I asked, quickly stopping him from listing every possible thing a Pack could offer.

"I heard from a little birdie that he doesn't exactly trust you and that he's probably only having you around to make sure you don't spill the beans and so he can keep an eye on you in general." Derek said.

I thought for a moment. It did make sense. Why would Scott, Stiles, Allison, or Lydia ever hang out with me without another reason.

"Fine, but on my terms, after all, I am naturally an alpha." I agreed, "First things first, what do you want my help with at the moment?"