F O U R T E E N

Melissa opened the door as I stood in the hallway. "Did you find a tape player?" Stiles asked.

"No." She replied. "But I found someone looking for you." She looked at me and I stepped inside, wringing my hands together as I gave him a nervous, tight lipped smile. Stiles stood up. "Hey." He greeted as Melissa walked out, shutting the door behind her.

"I heard you almost got killed." I said.

"I heard you almost got killed." He said back. I nodded. "You okay?" I asked him.

"Yeah. Brunski punched me in the face. Turns out he was a serial killer." He pointed at the mark on his face.

"Makes sense."

"Yeah." He looked at me. "What about you?"

"We almost got set on fire." I shrugged.

"Everyone okay?"

"Basically."

My eyes darted around as I bit my lip. Stiles looked at me with a softer expression. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." I looked up at him, landing us in a small stretch of silence. "I'm gonna go." I turned around.

"You don't have to."

"I should go." I repeated.

"Okay." I tried to open the door only to find it locked. "It's locked."

"Why would she lock the door?" Stiles asked, walking over and trying it out for himself. It did t budge. "Uh... hey, Melissa? Melissa." He looked at me. "You got a spell for this?"

I sighed, holding up my wrist to show him the bracelet. "I'm grounded. Spelled so I can't take it off until I learn a lesson apparently." I walked away. "Why would she lock the door?"

"I don't know." Stiles muttered, turning to me. "Maybe she didn't mean to."

"You don't just accidentally lock a door."

"Okay, well, maybe she wasn't thinking, exactly." Stiles said. "Or wasn't thinking it through. You know, people sometimes do things without thinking them through."

"Then she's stupid." I replied, slightly weirded out by his explanation.

"No, even smart people can do stupid things." He argued. "You know, cause they think that it's the right thing. And I don't think that we should hold it against her, you know, for the rest of her life. Especially because she's tried apologizing hundreds of times through texts and voicemails."

"Is she gonna keep begging?" I asked as I stepped closer, it clearly obvious we weren't actually talking about Melissa.

"She might."

"I don't have much practice in things like forgiveness. It's like...." I trailed off, trying to find a comparison.

"Like keeping control of your emotions?"

"I hate that." I nodded.

"Do you hate me?" He stepped closer.

"I love you, Stiles." I admitted. "I love you a lot."

"Yeah, I can work with that." He muttered before I leaned in to kiss him. Everything felt better in that moment as he wrapped his arms around me. Once we pulled away the door unlocked and creaked open.

~

"Let's go, Lorraine." Brunski's voice came through the cassette player.

"Listen to me." Lorraine replied. "Please listen. There something I have to do, something I have to stop."

"I have to take you back to Eichen, Lorraine." Brunski replied as Stiles leaned forwards to increase the volume.