Chapter 40

Everything happened so fast, none of us had the chance to stop Arden as he pushed me off the landing and into the hole. I didn't bother to stop the scream that came out of my throat as I fell and time seemed to slow down. That was until I saw Levi jumping after me.

"Levi no-"

"I'm not letting you fall!" He reached for my hand and in some miraculous way, he was already by my side and pulled me into his embrace. I close my eyes because despite everything that is currently happening, being here in Levi's arms feels... nice, comforting even. I can feel his heart thumping wildly against my chest and I hug him tighter. A grunt that came from Levi made me open my eyes to see that our surroundings are... dark. We're covered by a shadow and we're... no longer falling.

"Levi what-"

"I summoned Lotan now hang on tight and don't let go," I hear Lotan roar and Levi's grip around me tightens as Lotan pulls us up and place us near the others. We were just in time to see Barbatos suddenly appearing behind the two incubi.

"Time to close your eyes Luke," I hear Solomon shout through the chaos and covers Luke's eyes with his hand despite Luke's surprise and confusion. Solomon's quick thinking was for the best because the next thing we know, Barbatos was slitting the two demons' throats with his claws, black blood spraying, his gloves long discarded. His face is as calm as always, not betraying a single emotion except for his eyes that has a slight anger in them but it was gone the next second. Luke might not be able to look at Barbatos the same way again if he were to witness that.

"Well that was... quick," Belphie muses after a moment of silence.

"I have to say, that was impressive to watch," Satan comments as Barbatos is back with us again.

"MC are you-" whatever it was Beel was going to say was cut off by Mammon as he storms towards me and Levi.

"Ya idiot!" A surprised gasp escaped me when the punch landed on Levi's face.

"Ow what was that for?!" Levi rubs his cheeks and stare at his brother in shock.

"Mammon!" Lucifer starts to make his way over to us.

"That was dangerous, jumping after MC like that! Ya could've died! Both of you could've died!" Without any warning, Mammon wrapped his arms around the two of us. We couldn't see his face but I could feel my shirt start to dampen.

"Mammon are you..."

"Crying?" Levi finished my sentence as he stares at his brother, too stunned at the sudden hug from the brother that he always argues with.

"Shut up! I can't- I wouldn't know how to live with myself if MC had died then but if you died too Levi I- I can't take it if the both of ya died, ya hear me! So shut it!" I exchange glances with Levi after Mammon's sudden confession.

"Mammon..."

"You were worried about me?" Levi looks at him in surprise as he pulls back.

"Of course I was!" He glares at Levi, his eyes red from the tears as he wiped them.

"Okay that's uh.. kinda gross, you know?" Levi adds.

"I said shut it!"

"Oh Mammon," I wrap my arms around his neck as I hold him close, stunning him in turn. "I'm sorry for making you worried,"

"Ya made all of us worried, ya dumb human. Ya should've told us earlier about those two demons," he answers as he wraps his arms around me and rests his head on my shoulders.

"But you wanna know something Mammon?"

"What?"

"I thought you said you didn't care about what happened to me," I tease him.