Chapter 30 Where is Mason

It was the next day and I got up early because I decided I should talk to Mason. I've been so distracted by everything that I haven't said anything to him. I need to apologize to him. We were always around each other, then all of a sudden he shuts me out. Only because of me and Wren. It's not fair to him. I know how he feels, at least I think I do. I want to be his friend. I really do enjoy his company. He reminded me of Remington. I might have had some feelings for him during those weeks. I don't know if they were true or I was just vulnerable, but I want him in my life. 

I was waiting in the courtyard. Everyone was coming out with their breakfast, so I watched them until I saw Mason. Minutes later, more kids passed me but none of them were  Mason. Remmy came up to me, trying to get me to sit down with them but I insisted. It's something I need to do before I can move on and focus on finding my mother and stopping Rumplestiltskin. 

Right as I was about to walk back into the cafeteria, I bumped into Wren. Who I haven't really talked to since I slapped him in the face then kissed him. Plus we don't want to draw attention to ourselves because Rumplestiltskin made it clear he doesn't want us even looking at each other. While I don't care what he wants, Wren is more concerned about what he will do to me or my mom. I quickly look down and step to the side, right when he stepped in the same direction as me. I blushed and stepped to the other again, and he followed. We stumbled around each other. "Sorry," I quietly apologized and walked around him. Then I stopped and turned around, thinking maybe I could ask him where Mason is. "Wren..." I said as I turned but he was already walking away. I went back into the cafeteria and noticed it was practically empty. 

Heading straight to the dormitory hallways, I made a b-line for the boys' hallway. I tried to recall the room number when a teacher stepped in front of me. "Excuse me, miss, where do you think you are going?" he said sternly. Probably monitoring the hallways making sure everyone is on time. 

"Um, just looking for a friend, don't mind me," I said before trying to walk past him. 

"Miss, this is the boys' hallway, you shouldn't be here. Besides," He holds up his wrist and reads his watch. "Look at the time. You have only a few minutes before class starts. Just head to your classroom," He held his arm out, guiding the way. "Kid, stop goofing around!" He yelled toward another student and walked away. I quickly went down the hallway and found his room. I knocked on the door and waited for a response. Nothing. Maybe I didn't knock hard enough, so I knocked harder. After a few seconds with no response, I leaned closer to the door. "Mason?" I called. 

"Mason, are you in there?" I called again a little louder. It was quiet. A tap on a shoulder made me jump and I turned to see the teacher that stopped me earlier. 

"Get to class, I won't say it again," He said sternly. I nodded, looked back at the door when more time then went to class. 

Lunchtime rolled around and still no sign of Mason. I'm starting to think he is avoiding me and somehow knows I'm looking for him. If he's not in the last hour, I will go to the archery range to look for him. I played with my potato wedges and salad with my fork, having no appetite because the thought of Mason ignoring me made my appetite disappear. Yasmin told me I took him for granted and I should just not look for him. She never helps much, but she's doing better from when she first got here. Sort of. I look around and notice Wren sitting with his cousins, Kristi and Andrew. He usually eats with Mason, but I'm guessing he doesn't know where Mason is either. I thought about standing up and walking over to him until I locked eyes with Wren. He shook his head like he knew what I was thinking. Telling me not to get up and go to him. I hate that we have to pretend to hate each other. I don't care if Rumplestiltskin wants to hurt me if I'm with him. I just want to be with him.