Chapter 8 - Masked

Back at the clothing boutique, I stood in the middle of the store staring at myself. Glancing at the small floral detail on the dress. My dress was black with red and white floral detail. It was sleeveless and had an almost see-through corset style. 

I was waiting for Heather to come back with my shoes and mask as I stared at myself

I was waiting for Heather to come back with my shoes and mask as I stared at myself. I didn't want to be honored at this small little masquerade ball. I feel like I failed at catching Robin Hood at the archery event earlier. While leaving the event and disappointed I didn't catch the Hood, people around me murmured about me. Say8ing I could be Robin Hood or I am copying him. Little did they know that I am actually his daughter. 

"Wow, Greta," a voice from behind interrupted my thoughts. "I am so talented, I make you look good." Heather giggled. I rolled my eyes and turned to face her. "We need to do your make up and hair then you'll be perfect. 

I walked over to a vanity in the back of the room where Heather had all her make up set out. She gave me dark eyeshadow that made the color of my eyes pop. She claimed that it would look better with the mask on. Then She gave me deep red lipstick and started curling my hair. "What do you want to with your hair? People will probably recognize the bleach blonde ends." heather asked me when she was all finished. "I could tied it with a ribbon and tuck it under, tying it to the top of your head making it look like just a hair bow. How's that?" 

"Whatever looks good," I sighed. "I'm probably only going to be there for a few minutes then leave." She put my hair tied up the way she described, making it look like my hair was only a few inches shorter, barely noticeable. "Nice. Now it's not obvious I'm Greta, just slightly noticeable." 

"Why aren't you in the party mood?" Heather asked, fixing last touches. She was wearing a red, black, and white dress that went past her knees. She had a checkered mask for herself and red lace mask for me. Shawn was wearing a leather blazer, red button top, and black pants with a matching mask with Heather. 

"Because, this whole thing was to find Robin Hood and all I got was a glimpse that I probably made up because I was so desperate," I explained. "What am I celebrating by going there? It's just extending my time until I see Wren again." 

"Hey," Heather sat next to me. "You said you saw who you believe is Robin Hood. Then you saw him, I believe you. You can't just imagine if you don't know what you are looking for. There was so much hype about his special crossbow being used, he had to have shown up at some point. Maybe he will be there tonight. He's probably curious who got a perfect shot." 

A ring from the front door chimed causing Heather to stand up. She patted my shoulder before walking to the front room to see who walked in. The shop was open until half an hour ago with people coming to get last-minute outfits for the ball. I heard mumbling through the walls, thinking it was just one of the ladies or a late customer. I looked back at my makeup in the vanity mirror. She did a beautiful job and the eye shadow was actually starting to grow on me. Footsteps came into the room and someone cleared their throat for attention. I looked behind me in the mirror and saw Mason in a blue and green plaid suit, smiling at me. 

"I'm here for the honorary guest," He joked. I smiled and got up from my chair. "Although I just heard that this particular guest doesn't want to party. What's up?" I grabbed my small purse and stepped next to him. 

"Well if I have my own personal escort, how could I refuse?" I smirked. Strapping on my shoes with the balance help from Mason I decided I came this far and shouldn't turn back. Maybe Robin Hood will show up. 

"Well, it's time for us to go m'lady," Mason held out his hand for me to accept. Which I accepted with rolling eyes. "We will see you guys there, Greta has to go through a separate door so she can make a grand entrance at the ball. By the way, Heather, beautiful dresses." Heather smiled and nodded in gratitude. 

As we walked out the door, a modern carriage was waiting for us to take us to the ballroom. "Wow, you went all out for just a makeshift dance." I awed. 

"This is usually how we get places. Because you were with your parents for the Parent's night ball, you didn't get the chance to watch everyone arrive," Mason said as we got in the carriage. I couldn't tell if he was bluffing or not. "Okay, so it's just the royals that get to ride these and Rapunzel thought it would be fun for the honorary guest, who was always going to be you, to get a chance to ride one." 

"Oh of course," I said not knowing how to reply. "To be honest, it is true that I was hesitant about coming. I never saw Robin Hood. But Heather said there is a possibility he could show up tonight. So if he doesn't, then I'm a total failure and I will never rescue Wren from my mother and Rumplestiltskin." 

"Greta, you will never be a failure. You won the archery competition. You caught a glimpse of Robin Hood and you are working your ass off, hiking through the woods just to find Wren. Robin Hood showing up or not, this night is for you. You know, my mother told me about a conversation she had with Rapunzel. Rapunzel does not blame you for anything and believes you are the only chance to find Wren.  The archery competition was just an excuse to boost your confidence to find him. And believe me, we all know you will." 

"But why do you believe that?" He took a breath and looked me in the eyes. He looked a little hurt or resentful, for an unknown reason.

"Because you two are connected, meant to be."