Chapter 7- Target

The next morning signs were displayed all over for the event today and tonight. They started setting them up the night before to get people to come. In the center of the village, they were starting to set up the targets for the competition. Mason left early to take Robin Hood's crossbow to his mother who is directing the event with Rapunzel since she is the archery expert. I was getting ready in the outfit Heather made for me. Black pants and a tank top with a red and black hooded long coat, red boots, and black gloves. My very own version of a Robin Hood outfit, something Mason said before he left. It's basically a female red version of his outfit. 

Heather and Shawn were going to leave after me just to go watch

Heather and Shawn were going to leave after me just to go watch. Hanna went to go talk to Remmington. In just a few days he will be on trial for helping his father kidnap Wren. Mason and I discussed staying to watch but he said if I go and people notice me it would just make it worse. I hate when he's right, he seems to do that a lot. I left and went through back allies to the event, with my hood down so if anyone passes by me they won't get suspicious of a hooded figure. Until Robin Hood, the real hooded person. 

I got there right at 11 o'clock when the event started. Hiding behind a crowd, I watched Rapunzel and Merida walk onto a stage that was set up near the targets. "Welcome everybody of Grimmland!" Rapunzel said over the intercom. Everyone that gathered cheered in response. "This event is sort of a surprise right?" She looked around to the crowd. "We kept it a secret and almost canceled after recent events but I know to bring each of us hope and to get people working together, this event today can bring us together to help find my son. Rumplestiltskin and Mother Gothel will not stand a chance against the citizens of Grimmland!" Everyone cheered louder throwing their arms up. 

"Now, to start the event any volunteers can line up and practice. The best shot wins. I'm going to turn the time over to the host of this event, Merida," Rapunzel handed the mic over and got off the stage. 

"Hi everybody! I'm so glad people are excited for this event! I also have a special surprise for you," She exclaimed. She looked around at all the eager faces. She walks over to a table on the stage and holds up Robin Hood's crossbow. With the look on everyone's face made it seemed like they already know what that crossbow was. "Some of you might know, this is the Legendary Robin Hood's crossbow. People say that only he or his descendants are the ones that can make a perfect shot with this bow. So, the finalists are able to take a shot to see whoever can make the closest to the perfect shot. The winner will be the special guest to tonight's masquerade ball." Everyone cheered at the announcement. 

"Don't forget, you have the chance to change your fate!" She shouted her final remarks and everyone jumped and cheered. A ref from the archery team began to say the rules and I found the line of people going to shoot.  There were mostly men who thought they were manly enough to make a perfect shot. I just sneered at them while keeping my head down to keep the mystery. The hood covered my face enough to not be recognized. Only Rapunzel and probably Merida know that I am going to be participating. Knowing my skills, I will be a finalist. And since I am most likely a descendant from Robin Hood, I will be winning. Unless Robin Hood himself shows up. 

Finally, it was my turn. We stood in a row, each lined up to a target. Everyone kept glancing at me. Face covered in not really normal clothing, that I do stand out. Which is in my favor. Word getting around might bring out Robin Hood. I was the last one to shoot. Everybody before me were all slightly off or completely missed the target. Out of the other finalist, I do have a better chance of winning. When it's my turn, I make a perfect shoot. Behind me, the crowd is half silent and half cheering. They are suspicious of me, maybe they already know who I am. 

"Alrighty, folks! Let's call up the five finalists to see who can make a perfect shot with Robin Hood's crossbow!" Merida announced. I stayed on the stage while three men and one woman came onto the stage. I was starting to get nervous. I had to make a perfect shot for everything to go right. A woman walks onto the stage holding the crossbow. Everyone starts rooting for whoever their friend or family is. No one was rooting for me. But I glanced around looking for Shawn and Heather. I found bright orange hair in the crowd and knew I found Hanna. I don't know why she's here, it seems like something she would care less about this kind of event. 

"Finalists! Let's begin. Starting with finalist number 1. Do you think you are going to get a perfect shot?" Merida asked as the lady was walking toward the guy, one of the men that worked at the Snuggly Duckling.  The man replied with confidence thinking he could make a close enough shot, same as his winning shot. He took the crossbow and aimed it toward the target. Everyone was overcome with suspense and waited silently. After a few seconds of taking deep breathes, he pulled the trigger. Miss. Everyone awwed hoping for something more. The next finalist tried, miss. The third, miss. Fourth and like everyone else, miss. It was finally my time. 

Merida looked me in the eye and handed me the crossbow. "Right now, we are with our last finalist. Will this girl get a chance to be the honored guest for tonight's masquerade ball?" I nodded at her and turned to face the time. I have used this bow before and got a near-perfect shot. I shouldn't be nervous but I am close to quacking. I raised the bow and stared at the target. For finding Robin Hood. For finding Wren. I took a deep breath and shot. I stared blankly while everyone cheered. I made the perfect shot. 

Merida raised her hands. "We have a winner!! Thank you everyone for participating. Don't forget tonight at 9 pm is a special masquerade ball. And winner, we will be honored to have you." Merida put her arm around me when addressing the crowd. I looked around at everyone, finding Shawn and Heather watching, as well as Hanna next to them. Then in the corner of my eye, I see a hood. I glance again to see a dark green hooded man all the way in the back. It has to be Robin Hood, without thinking I run off the stage and try to get through the crowd that was trying to leave to their homes. When I got to where I thought Robin hood was, there was nobody but trees.