Chapter 40 Greta - Unveiling

ring ring 

I was waiting for Mason outside of Heather's shop. I needed to tell him about tonight. I'm sure he's heard about the party, everyone else is talking about it. Some people even came to say happy birthday. I didn't know how to respond to strangers coming up to me to wish me a happy birthday. I first didn't say anything, but now I'm responding with a thank you. I'm getting better. 

Mason's not answering my calls. I send him a text that says I have something to discuss with him urgently. That probably is not how I should word it but I hope it grabs his attention. I decided to walk just when the door to the shop opened. 

"Oh, Shawn," I said skipping up to him. "Are you going to work out?" He nodded. "Spend time with me instead, please! It's my birthday," I chimed. I wrapped my arms around him, trapping him so he couldn't escape. Heather is working on more outfits for tonight, Hanna and Remmington are going on a date then Remmington is going to find a way to change my dress through magic. Yeah, Remmington can do magic still. I know he helped Rumplestiltskin with this curse, but apparently, he's been practicing ever since. I didn't know that, I think.  

"Well the stupid birthday party starts tonight around 6:30 so we have a few hours until we have to go get ready. We aren't hungry just yet are we?" I asked Shawn as I led us down the sidewalk. I glanced back at the town center in front of the castle. They were putting up tables and metal things that look like lamposts but don't have a lightbulb in them. I wonder what those are. 

"It's getting colder these days, when do you think it will snow?" I continue to talk. When I'm with Shawn is the only time I do the majority of the talking. Or should I say a hundred percent of the talking? It never snowed on the island. Magical barriers, as well as being surrounded by water played a part in that. I've always wondered what it was like to feel the snow. It looks like shiny shards of glass, but apparently, you can touch it. Does it have a taste? I doubt anyone tastes it, right? 

We went down a street I haven't been to before, surprisingly. Nowadays all I do is just walk around, exploring the village. I felt bad taking Shawn away from his workout, but he's in perfect shape. He can miss a day. He's getting his steps in any way. "This walking is making me hungry again. Wanna get something to eat?" I glanced down at my watch to check the time. I was given a specific time to go home and get ready for tonight's party. 

We turned a corner and I saw a sign for a restaurant I don't think I've been to before. "The Ugly Duckling". It seemed interesting so Shawn and I started to head toward it. As we got closer there was an announcement sign in front. "Today's special: shepherd's pie." I pointed to the sign with a smile on my face. Shepherd's pie is my favorite. I dragged Shawn inside and found us a table. Soon a man came up to us with two cups of water. 

"Welcome to the Ugly Duckling. What can I get started for you today?" asked a waiter with a deep scrappily voice. I ordered two servings of shepherd's pie and a soda for myself. I'm sure Shawn just asked for water. "Are you Greta?" He asked me. I got a little nervous, he's a big man and looks like he'll say anything he wants and will definitely get away with it. I nodded at him then glanced over at Shawn. "I will be right back." 

He walked away as Shawn watched him closely. "It's probably nothing right?" I asked with a bit of a shake in my voice. He's a scary dude. I don't know enough self-defense. He came back a few moments later and put a napkin in front of me. 

"This was left for you. In case you ever came in. I didn't think you'd come on the exact same day," he said. I looked closely at the napkin. It was the drawing of the tattoo on my hand. The one I got one day somehow when Wren touched me. I don't think he and I talked much after that. Then he and Mason had a falling out so I had no reason to talk to him.