Chapter 39 Greta - Birthday waffles

Last night:

I got to the castle and stopped in front of Huntsman, waiting for him to open the door. I felt bad for him, he saved Snow White when he was supposed to kill her, he's technically a hero. Yet Rumplestiltskin made him into his personal slave, doing whatever Rumplestiltskin wants him to do. Standing here all day is worse than being stuck on the island, I assume. He nodded at me and opened the door. I walked through and put my jacket on the rack. My mother mentioned she would be waiting for me in the reading room. 

I walked over to the reading room, not far from the front door, and opened the big heavy door. Sitting in the room was my mom, drinking tea, and Rumplestiltskin was working on the fire in the fireplace. The door shut behind me and Rumplestiltskin quickly turned around. "Ah deary," he cheered. "You are home. Please sit, I got a pot of tea." 

I walked over to a chair across from Rumple and sat down. I'm not much of a tea drinker so I just sit and watch the fire crackle and dance. "How was your day, Greta?" My mother asked me. Every since Rumplestiltskin took over and they've become some type of couple, she's talked less. Looked less happy. The way she looks, I feel like she knows something I don't. I feel like lots of people know something I don't. 

"It was alright, mother," I sighed. "Why did you call me here?"

"Do you have something to do?" Rumpelstiltskin said. "Why in a hurry when the family is all together?" Rumplestiltskin put the fire poker down and sat next to my mother. "I have the perfect idea for our first family event. Greta, your mother has mentioned that tomorrow is your birthday." Was that tomorrow? I almost have forgotten. I never did much on my birthday growing up. My mother would just take me to Rumple's for shepherd's pie and sometimes, more when I was younger, she would sing happy birthday to me. "So we were thinking of throwing you a little party." Rumplestiltskin interrupted my thoughts. 

"A party? No way, I don't want a stupid party. Why would you want that?" I said, leaning back into the chair. 

"To celebrate you, of course, deary. And we will invite the whole village. It will be in the town circle right outside the castle. We will also be unveiling our family crest. One that will take down the rest of Rapunzel's and King Ben's," He snapped his finger and clothes appear on the table in front of me. I looked at the dark red fabric with a gold R embroidered on the top. He wants me to wear this? 

"I don't do parties. Especially one where people are forced to show up because you are throwing it. I don't want to wear your crest. We are not a family, Rumple," I raised my voice. My mother looked at me surprised. "Tell me, Rumple. What are you hiding from me?" He also had a shocked look on his face. I never yelled at my mother or him before. 

"Greta, how dare you raise your voice," My mother scolded me. "We will present ourselves as a family tomorrow. You will be there standing next to us, no questions." She stood up from the couch. She hasn't used her stern mother's voice in a long time. 

"Mother, you don't even like parties like this. You only went to the Parent's Day because..." I don't remember why she went to parent's day. I tried to think about it, but the stares from both Rumple and my mother were confusing me. "Why do you want this party so badly?" 

"Because, Greta, it's so the people here know that they must bow down to me now. They must bow down to us!" Rumplestiltskin stood up as well, glaring at me. "I rule now. Go to bed, Greta. We will see you tomorrow." I held is hand out and my mother took it. They left the reading room, leaving me standing alone. I looked back down at the dress he had made for me. Definitely Heather's work. But the crest, I hated it. I just wanted to go to Grimmland High and be a normal kid. I didn't want people to hate me anymore because of my upbringing. I don't want to stand in front of people and make them fear me.