Chapter 10 - Robin Hood

"I'm your daughter." He hasn't spoken for a full thirty seconds and I don't know what to say next. Do I explain everything to him? Do I wait for him to respond? Do I walk up to him? "You are Robin Hood," I stated, hoping to get some form of agreement back from him. He slowly nodded. 

"Greta," He sighed my name. "The name has gone around the villages. The daughter of a villain. Assisted Rumplestiltskin kidnap Wren, son of Rapunzel." 

"I didn't assist him, I tried to stop him. Wait, don't you know who my mother is, right?" He just said 'daughter of a villain. "I'm Gothel's daughter." He looked at me with confusion and startled. "They say Robin Hood fell in love with a villain on the Isle of the Lost. But when King Adam found out he made Robin go into hiding so they won't have any more contact." 

"Is that what people are saying about me?"  he chuckled. "That was almost 18 years ago. I haven't heard any news from her since."

"So you didn't hear that a few nights after you never came back, Gothel found out she was pregnant. Because the news was on the Isle, they moved her to The Cursed Island where no one would know the true identity of the father. She was hated on both islands. The fact that she kept the birth father a secret made everyone irritated. She had a baby girl, me. Greta. I'm 17 years old."

While we were talking we ended up walking to a bench in a courtyard. When I told him that she had a baby, which is me, he sat down on the bench. If he is supposed to be this legend that no one ever sees longer than a split second, how is he dropping his guard with me? 

"People in the village pubs say Greta has distinct hair. Black with blond somewhere. I can't remember what they said. Some kids said it because they thought they could catch her, uh you. But you don't have blond in your hair," He said. Did he remember details about me? Before he even cared who I really was? I untied the ribbon that was tucking in my blond tips and let my curled hair down. I even untied my mask and took it off, so he could get a good look at me. He studied my face for a moment. Then he slowly moved my hands and touched my cheeks. 

"Those are the cheekbones of a woman I once loved," He moved his thumb across my cheek. "I was devastated when King Adam told me I could never see her again. I went into the woods and tried to forget, but I think about her all the time. I can't believe no one told me she was pregnant. And you," He moved his body facing me. I started to feel tears forming in my eyes. He looks like he truly loved my mother and may even start to love me. "Are beautiful. The most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Can I hold your hand?" I smiled while blinking away a small tear and held out my hand. He held it for a few moments. He took his other hand and grabbed my right hand. 

"What is this?" He asked examining the tattoo. "I've seen this before. Carved on a few trees." I felt my jaw drop. Who else but Wren to carve this exact same sun in a tree. "I tried to follow them but I kept going in circles. Made me angry, I know these woods like the back of my hand. How could I get lost following some stupid carvings?" 

"It must be where Wren is! Take me there, I need to see it myself. This Sun, it is a symbol that only I and Wren have. The only person that could carve that is him." I stood up from the bench, adrenaline pumping as I thought that maybe I could find Wren tonight. 

"Wren? You mean Rapunzel's kid?" Hood asked with a confused look on his face. "Why do you and Wren have a sun tattoo connecting you two together?" Explaining everything is going to take all night. "Are you involved with Wren?" His voice changed, making me nervous. I hesitantly nodded my head. "You can't." 

"What? What do you mean I can't?" I asked, not able to fathom his words. "We are each other's fate. The power of the flower that Rapunzel had in her hair somehow got to both of us. We feel the connection bringing us together." 

"That's all. No matter how the world is changing, they won't let you be together. I've lived many years away from the woman I thought I loved. Hiding around villages just to hear people call me foolish for thinking I could love a villain. Just because one villain kid thinks she can change and be good, doesn't mean you can also be accepted by the people. I've heard the name Greta before. You are being blamed for Wren's kidnapping. People want you back on the island. You must forget what you think. Move on, come with me." He stood in front of me and put his hands on my shoulders. 

I stared at him confused. I didn't think about what he would think of this whole thing. He lost hope. I took his hands off my shoulders. "Why did I think you could help me? You were forbidden to see your love and now you don't believe in it at all? You were young when you met my mother. Don't you remember how it felt? I'm forbidden to see him now but that doesn't mean it's going to stop me to find him. I tried to stop my mother and Rumplestiltskin but failed and I'm not ready to stop." 

"Hold on, hold on," Robin Hood held his hands up signaling for me to stop. "Your mother is working with Rumplestiltskin? She's here?" I forgot that Rapunzel made sure that the villains' names didn't get out so the people would panic less. But some word got out about Rumplestiltskin because they were the most afraid of him. He wouldn't have known my mother was here. 

"GRETA!" My name was called in the distance. It's probably been longer than the five minutes I told. Mason must be looking for me now. "Greta, where are you?!" He called again. I turned to look at Robin Hood. 

"I'm going to go find those trees with the carvings. Tomorrow night. I'll be waiting for you at the Snuggly Duckling. If you don't come, I'll just have to do it myself." I looked at my father one last time before turning around to find Mason. I turned a corner to where the front door is where I can see Mason looking around, almost nervous. 

"Mason," I said to get his attention. He looked at me and sighed. "Sorry, how long was I gone?" I walked over to him. 

"Maybe 10 minutes. I was starting to worry. There are refreshments, you must be hungry. What are you doing out here anyway?" 

"I'll tell you later."