Chapter 18 - Hans true identity

First I went back to school. The last time I was here, Wren was taken from me. Now I am back, while no one else is here because they are all home for break. This way it was easy for me to sneak in. The building was already open for the very few that stayed. I went to the library and tried to find a section that would have information on pegasus'. For the land of no magic, they have a lot of magic. Yet they are trying to push out the magic and make people forget. Sure it's "equality" and "fair" but there's so much to learn. 

I went up to the computer and searched for the keyword 'Pegasus'. Quickly there were only a few books that popped up. I wrote down the call numbers and found the section. They were right next to each other so I grabbed them all and went to a table. I put two books on the side and grabbed one and opened it. 

Pegasus' use in ancient times was to serve a master. They helped a leader to battle, whether the battle was on feet or in the air. They were loyal to whoever owned them, growing up together like a family. They enjoy apples and plain field grass, they have strong muscles in the case put in a defensive situation. They mate for life. 

All of these were random things I could find on pegasuses that repeated in each of the books. I didn't care for the anatomy, the history, or even how to take care of them. Well, I did a little bit, but most importantly I wanted to learn how to control one. Control sounds weird. I only needed the pegasus in case Remington can't use his magic to take down the barrier. 

After an hour and a half of looking at different artworks and stories of pegasuses, I found something that might help. To get a pegasus to feel safe with you and become your pet, you must greet it slowly. Don't smell terrible,a scent they enjoy is the scent of lilacs. Greet it with a bow, as if you are honoring the animal. Then if it comes to you, give the pegasus a kiss in between the eyes. Easy. I think I can do that. I need to figure out how to smell like lilacs. Maybe get a few apples, then find the rest of my friends. I closed the book and stretched. I look around at the empty library. It reminded me of the time I followed Hanna to the library and found out she was dating Remington. They kissed over there on that table. Kiss 

Suddenly I had an image pop in my head. It became more of a memory than an image. I grabbed someone's face and pulled them to me. I closed my eyes. What is this memory? I thought harder on the memory. It became unblurred and I could see clearly that I pulled Mason into a kiss. When did this happen? Why did I do that? This must be why he wouldn't look me in the eyes. I get up from my chair in a hurry and leave the books on the table. Running down the stairs I think about why I kissed Mason. I am not in love with him the way that a kiss would represent. How could I do that to him? 

I thought about the things we talked about last night before we found Wren. When I could have gotten Mason to tell me how he felt about me. Remington was right, he does like me. And in a romantic way. But what am I suppose to say to that? I opened the doors outside and hurried to the woods. Before I got there I noticed bright orange hair in the distance. I stopped and looked at the person sitting on a bench. It's Hanna. What is she doing here? I thought about the fact that my mind is always occupied with Wren and I decided to take my priorities a step back and went over and sat next to her. 

"What are you doing here?" Hanna asked me without turning to look at me as if she knew who was going to sit next to her.

"Just had some reading to do, saw bright orange hair. I'm done reading so might as well waste my time sitting here. Tell me about what you are thinking about?" I asked crossing my legs. 

"Didn't you hear? Or were you too busy thinking about Wren like always?" She sighed sarcastically. I wanted to be offended but instead, I was ashamed. 

"Of course I heard. Why do you think I'm really sitting here?" She looked at me without making eye contact. "And I know how you feel. Being left in the dark about something for so long. But it doesn't compare to this." 

"What are you talking about?" Hanna asked me. I told her I was refering to the fact that my mother never told me who my father was and I had to hear it from some kid I just met. "I guess that is fair. How did you not react the same way I did? How did you not yell at your mother?" 

"Mostly because at the moment when I saw my mother again I was scared of her. I still am. Aren't you afraid of your father?" She looked at me then back at the ground and sighed. 

"Petrified. My father looks like he would cherish me and make sure I come first. When really he comes first and if he doesn't get his way or if I don't do something the way that he would like, I take the fall. He um," she hesitated. I could tell on her face that she was debating. Is there something she doesn't want to say. "He sometimes, he.." I could tell it was difficult. Hesitantly and awkwardly I put my arm around her. Lightly at first and then more comfortably. "He would abuse me. Mostly verbal, sometimes physical. The time I told him I was being bullied by Heather, I was hoping he would worry about me but instead he hit me for letting someone bully me. then he took it out on Queen of Heats, because apparently she's my mother." 

I didn't know what to say. I had no idea she was going through that. Whenever I saw her with Hans they walked around like that were all that and a bag of pixie chips. Which I discovered while staying in bed and breakfasts the last couple of weeks. Besides pineapples, they are my new favorite food. Whe didn't seem excited about him coming, if I recall. And she doesn't want Hans to know she's dating Remmington. I guess that's why she wants to do so well here, she doesn't want to be with her father again. 

"Hanna," I called her name. There was nothing I could say. I studied her face and couldn't tell if she was about to cry or not but I don't know how she couldn't. She's probably seeing memories fly in her head of how her father treated her. 

"That could be why Queen of Hearts left him. But Heather is older than me and her father must be somebody else. Ugh, I got so close with her these past few days. I spent almost every day at the shop, mainly because I couldn't see Remington all the time or they would kick me out. Yet she wouldn't tell me anyway." Should I tell her that I knew to? Even though I kind of forgot until it was brought up again. 

"Hanna, I'm sure she had a reason. Maybe Queenie told her not to tell anyone, or maybe..."

"I know you know, Heather said that the only other person who knew is you and you promised not to say anything. Plus I'm sure you forgot. You aren't thinking straight these days.Like," she started to chuckle a little. "Don't you remember what you did last night?" I looked at her confused. "I went to go check in on you last night and saw you kiss Mason. What were you thinking?" I sighed. 

"Hanna!" someone called her name and we both turned to see Remington running up to us. "I've been looking all over for you, worried sick. How did you end up here with Greta?" I took my arm off and crossed them smirking at him. 

"You're just jealous I found her first. And I wasn't even trying? Where did you look, her dorm?" I snarked. He nodded. "You remember that one time we had a fight and you went to my house to find me and I wasn't there?" He slowly nodded again. "We don't go to the most obvious spot, Remmy. 

"I didn't even know this bench was here," He said hoping to make himself look a little better. "Anyway, Greta. I hope you got the information you needed but I need to talk to Hanna." I nodded in agreement. I did find what I needed. and the more I sat here and thought about Hanna and her problem, I realized how unimportant it was to find a pegasus in the mysterious creature forest. Hopefully Mason finds the spell. Remington cleared his throught. "So?" I looked at him confused. "Can we have some privacy?" Of course, I'm do dumb. 

"Yes, yes, sorry just don't mind me. I read a lot my brain hurts. I'm going to walk now," I got up from the bench, waved goodbye and walked towards the village. While walking I thought about the time I rode on the back of Wren's motorcycle. The first time I thought maybe I could be falling for him. I wish he was here right now and that everything was normal. Even though there never was a normal to begin with. 

\